Remote Access to machine without having to login

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eddie1234567

Remote Access to machine without having to login

Post by eddie1234567 »

Hi I am trying to set up my new Mint Maya machine so I can log into it remotely.

I am using xvnc4viewer to remote, but I have to go to the remote machine and log into it first, and then come back to my machine to then use the remote software, wich sot of defeats the porpoise

Any pointers will be greatfully recieved
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CalcProgrammer1

Re: Remote Access to machine without having to login

Post by CalcProgrammer1 »

On my Ubuntu 12.04 server I'm running xrdp which uses a separate login session and the RDP (Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop) Protocol. I also have VNC server running, though I have configured it to auto-login so VNC is available as soon as the machine is booted (and it runs 24/7 on a UPS so it rarely reboots). I would suggest either trying out xrdp or just configuring your machine to automatically log in. Also I recommend installing an SSH server (sudo apt-get install ssh) which allows you to get terminal access to the machine regardless of whether the desktop environment is running/logged in or not. You can also set up xtightvnc4server (I think that's the name, can't remember, been a while since I've used it) to launch a separate desktop session for your VNC remote logins (so your computer may be logged out or logged in, either way the remote desktop session will not have any effect on the local desktop). I used this once on a Debian system where I would SSH login, start the xtightvnc4server (I think it was just 'xtightvnc4server' to start the server) and then connect to the server with my VNC client.

There are tons of other options as well, but my recommendations would be SSH, xrdp, auto-login, and maybe xtightvnc4server for multi-session use. xrdp uses xtightvnc4server as a back-end component, so your xtightvnc4server session and xrdp session will likely be the same thing over two different protocols.
CyberTaff

Post by CyberTaff »

I use teamviewer to log in remotely. You can set up an unattended session with a password which means you don't have to touch the remote system (Teamviewer just needs to be running). Great software which is very easy to use.
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

K - this is how I do this...May be better ways but it works for me.

1. Open a ssh session to your remote machine using normal ssh command.

Code: Select all

ssh user@remote_server
this opens a remote terminal session. You need to have openssh server installed and running on remote site. i also use public key crypt to authenticate ssh sessions, but thats another issue. Thing is open the remote terminal session, then you can start the vncserver remotely.

2. When session is running then start X11VNC server on remote machine - even if not logged (no X screen running) but mdm is running
If there is no one logged into X session on the remote session you need to use a command like

sudo x11vnc -auth /var/lib/mdm/:0.Xauth
You can also use

sudo x11vnc -auth guess
If you are logged in and have X session running the command

x11vnc
is probably enough.

3. On local machine start a vnc viewer, point to remote and then you can log in on remote.

I use ssh to tunnel vnc into remote site. - I only leave 1 specific ssh port open on remote machine - all other ports closed including standard vnc 5900,5901.... are closed

this opens a remote terminal session. If there is no one logged into X session on the remote session you need to use a command like

sudo x11vnc -auth /var/lib/mdm/:0.Xauth

Anyone else here do similar ? Theres probably even smarter ways of doing this but thats my 2c worth.

Woody

Return to “Beginner Questions”