my screen is too bright after UP5 (Mate 1.4) [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mali radnik

my screen is too bright after UP5 (Mate 1.4) [solved]

Post by mali radnik »

After the successful update to UP 5 in Mate environment, my screen has become too bright. There was a delicate grey touch before, and now it's gone. Please see the picture. There are no problems with fonts, I just don't know how to get some contrast to my screen. I have tried to change several themes, I keep Mint-X (version 1.8). I tried several others, but things were always the same: there is no contrast, the screen with Home folder, Documents etc. are just untolerably bright. Desktop, however, has remained the same as before, without changes. The problem apparently appeared when I switched Mate from 1.2 to 1.4, after typing
apt install mint-meta-debian-mate
into Terminal. Any help, please?
sample picture.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mali radnik

Re: my screen is too bright after UP5 (Mate 1.4)

Post by mali radnik »

Please help me to adjust screen brightness. I repeat: my Desktop is just fine, but when I open Home folder and Documents, there is no contrast at all. No problems with fonts, all clear and legible, but it's that whiteness of the background that I need to change.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Problems with font rendering can be corrected - search the forums :) There is a solution already do repair missing symlinks in /etc/fonts provided by user Monsta.

As for colors
- install mint-themes package. It should remove the old one.
- check selected gtk theme in mate properties. Maybe there is another one, a bit darker.
- you can change caja background color manually to whatever you like, even wallpaper. Look in Caja preferences :)
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

I have already installed mint theme 1.0.8. I checked, and it was confirmed as the latest available. As far as fonts are concerned, there are no problems at all. It's just the screen, too bright, no contrast.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you can either tweak the colors of the default theme (if you find it too bright)
or look for another gtk2/gtk3 theme
http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=167
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

Thank you, Zerozero, but I am still looking for solution. Are these the right sources that I use:

System: Host rudarlmde Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... ian/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... t/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

your sources.list are correct :wink:
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

Great! I needed someone to confirm it was right.
Now, in brief, I use correct sources list, I installed the right Mint theme 1.0.8. I only dislike the look of the background when I enter Home folder. I tried to change the theme (I like Mint-X), but the background remained helplessly bright, only the icons changed. Tweaking with colours also did not help. But there must be something wrong with the theme, because before this update I never had to adjust colours, the background was grey/green, and I was happy. Since I don't want to spoil something else, perhaps I have to accept the way it is now, and to stare less.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

But Caja background is absolutely independent of theme.
As I said, you can actually set it to whatever color you want.
In Caja preferences or menu, I don't remember exactly, there is color/background selection.

Go there and just select something darker.
As far as I remember you have to drag'n drop selected color on element you want to change.
Two clicks and problem is solved.

You can also use wallpaper and make gradients just like the one you have on side panel (by dropping colors on the edges).
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

Thank you, Sobrus. This might help, I haven't tried that before. Unfortunately, at this moment I am using another PC and I cannot do what you suggest.
Just to avoid further unnecessary messages, could you be so kind to tell me how to open Caja and preferences? I was opening Menu preferences before (right click on Menu, open preferences), but there were no settings which I need.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok this was bugging me and i went to double-check :lol:
in fact mint-x has a kind of light around the windows (i hope is visible in this shoot- click in the images for a full view)

but mint-z has not
the differences are mainly visible in caja and mintupdate (that i noticed)

regarding caja background (as sobrus pointed out and if is the main problem) try this way
caja > edit > backgrounds and emblems > drag and drop the color or pattern you want to caja main window.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

mali radnik wrote: how to open Caja and preferences
You're welcome :)
The program we are talking about is Caja :) You have posted screenshot of Caja.
I am at work now (Windows XP) but it seems like zerozero already gave you an answer how to get there :)
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

It worked in Caja just like you said! So easy that I feel ashamed. Bless you, Sobrus and ZeroZero! Thank you all, you great users and developers, for LMDE, this wonderful gift to the people!

Return to “LMDE Archive”