(Solved) Command For Mint Menu (XFApplet) In /usr/bin ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guimaster

(Solved) Command For Mint Menu (XFApplet) In /usr/bin ?

Post by guimaster »

Greetings,

Is there are command that can be run from Terminal (/usr/bin/___/) to open the MintMenu in Linux Mint 13 XFCE? I cannot find one that works.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Command For Mint Menu (XFApplet) In /usr/bin ?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Terminal > whereis mintmenu
/usr/bin/mintmenu

I am on Debian Squeeze btw, I had to use the source package to get mintmenu.
guimaster

Re: Command For Mint Menu (XFApplet) In /usr/bin ?

Post by guimaster »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Terminal > whereis mintmenu
/usr/bin/mintmenu

I am on Debian Squeeze btw, I had to use the source package to get mintmenu.
Thanks. I was hoping to find a different way to get the Super Key to work with the Mint Menu in Mint 13 XFCE (by adding the start-up command for Mint Menu to the keyboard shortcuts controls). It didn't work but I found other instructions that did work. Running /usr/bin/mintmenu doesn't work properly in XFCE.

Thanks!
stetilley

Re: (Solved) Command For Mint Menu (XFApplet) In /usr/bin ?

Post by stetilley »

hey,

I know this is an old post, but you're the first post I've seen where someone has found a way to actually bind Super_L to open MintMenu. How did you manage it?! It's really annoying that the menu settings won't actually bind it!

Thanks in advance
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

stetilley > You didn't mention your version. I did it this way: Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts. You will see <Alt>F1 is used for that and I just left it as is. Press Add and enter the same command you see for F1 and OK. Then the Super key. You're done. Hope that works for you. Oh I just saw you said Mint Menu - I use the default menu so you may just have to find the command for Mint Menu if you installed it - not sure...
Trying to start Mint Menu from the terminal just brings up the icon that needs to be clicked - there is a package called mintmenu keybindings in Synaptic but no information on it. When someone says they solved the problem without saying how you just have to scratch your head.

Pat
stetilley

Post by stetilley »

you, kind sir, are a genius!

went into synaptic, installed mintmenu-keybinder, restarted, fixed!

it seems very strange that mintmenu would be included with the mint install, but the package that makes its keybinding work doesn't...

ah well, sorted now :) thanks for the help!
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

I can use the Super_L key to open mintmenu in Mint 13 xfce, but only a "minimised" mintmenu pops up in the middle of the desktop -
mintMenu popup.png
Then when you click on the icon, the mintmenu opens fully.
mintMenu in Mint 13 xfce.png
I would like to just be able to press Super_L and have it open the mintmenu from the panel icon in the bottom left of the desktop like it does in mate
and previous versions of Mint.

When I click on the icon with the mouse, it opens from the panel as it should.

I installed mintmenu-keybinder and restarted but it made no difference - it worked the same as before.

So, still looking for a solution ....

caribriz
stetilley

Post by stetilley »

I would suggest checking your application shortcuts in the keyboard control panel

If you've set one in there to run "mintmenu" when you press Super_L then that's what your problem is. The command "mintmenu" starts the whole MintMenu itself up, rather than opening the one you already have.
nk of anything else
I don't know what the command for opening up the menu you have actually is, but if you make sure you don't have that shortcut set up anywhere. then go into the mintmenu preferences (right click the menu button, click preferences), you can change the shortcut to Super_L on the very first page it takes you to.

This was bugging me for days, so if that doesn't help just reply and I'll see if I can think of anything else (tried just about everything to sort this myself!)
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Thanks for replying, stetilley -
I did make a keyboard shortcut in Menu > Settings > Keyboard > Application Shortcuts - so I deleted it.
Restarted, and tried it again, just having Super_L in mintmenu > Preferences - Keyboard shortcut.
Unfortunately, no go.

But ..... I have managed to get it working - found this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/898184

The post by J.Albert has worked for me:

1. Install python-keybinder

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python-keybinder
2. Download this patch: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+b ... u.py.patch
(I saved it to Downloads folder, and then as root copied it to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu, then backed up the original mintMenu.py before proceeding)

3. Apply the attached patch to mintMenu.py

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu
sudo patch mintMenu.py mintMenu.py.patch 

4. Logged out/in.

Of course, I used Super_L, not <Control>Super_L like in the post.

So, solved for me as well now :)
caribriz

Edit: the command given initially - sudo patch /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py mintMenu.py.patch
was incorrect. I copied/pasted it direct from the link. Sorry for any confusion caused. :oops:
The edited instructions above did work for me.
Last edited by caribriz on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stetilley

Post by stetilley »

glad you got it sorted :)

have to say, other than binding this button and making the mute button work both ways (mute AND unmute) I've had no trouble since installing mint 13 xfce about a week ago. first time I've used the mint distro, and I'm very happy with it :D

i had previously used ubuntu and, whilst that was fine, I never liked the gnome desktop. also, i found it bloated and overly power-hungry for my little dell mini 10. Mint seems to be perfect :)

hope you're enjoying it too!
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

I am enjoying Mint 13 xfce very much.
I also like Cinnamon ....and mate (a full install on usb stick).
Poor Mint 9 (and 10) Gnome now being ignored on my main pc :cry:

:lol:
cheers
caribriz

Return to “Xfce”