Greetings and Sincere Thanks

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cpmehl

Greetings and Sincere Thanks

Post by cpmehl »

Greetings Folks,

I wanted to take a moment to not only introduce myself but to sincerely thank the community on the forums here. My background is primarily that of a Windows systems administrator having both a professional and educational background in the Windows IT field. I first installed a Linux distro back in the days when Slackware was the primary choice available and the old walnut creek CDROM was the only real convenient choice for actually obtaining media (yes, I know... I'm dating myself and then some.). It was not the greatest of experiences.

After many years later, I wanted to give Linux a chance again for my boxes at home and after considerable discussion with some trusted colleagues on G+, I decided to give the Mint distro a whirl a few weeks back. The experience has been a complete and unmitigated revelation. The work that has been accomplished here by Clem and the rest of the development community here is simply astounding. Mint, along with the Cinnamon desktop environment has far exceeded my expectations in every fashion and has, in fact, become my primary OS of choice. Like many, I started off with a dual-boot Windows environment and after a couple weeks of that, I tossed my windows partition aside and went with Maya along with the Cinnamon and Nemo nightly builds. I have not regretted that decision in any way. The experience has been wonderful across the board.

Even as an individual with a fair degree of IT background, like many others, I found myself faced with more than the occasional question and minor obstacle. The forums here and the extraordinary people who contribute to them have been able to answer every question that I had before even having the chance to pose them personally. For that, you good folks have my thanks and respect. The community here is fantastic and I hope to be able to contribute in some small fashion as I continue to learn and benefit from the experiences of others.

A tremendous job has been done here and I look forward to being able to recommend Mint as well as the community here wholeheartedly to both friends and colleagues. You folks are wonderful.

Best to you all!

Christopher Mehl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Greetings and Sincere Thanks

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to The Mint family forums

usually i would say something like remember the search facility is your best friend, but you have obviously found that yourself :lol:

Wizard
cpmehl

Post by cpmehl »

Thanks Wizard!

You are correct. I noticed the search facility first thing on the way in the front door. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome. It's appreciated!

cpmehl
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Christopher, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! Sounds like you already know your way around here, though I'll just pitch in with the usual reference to a few helpful resources :wink:

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
cpmehl

Post by cpmehl »

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for the welcome as well as the links. I was not actually aware of XChat automatically connecting to #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help. I have not fired up an IRC client in years. I may have to dip my toes in the water again. Thanks for letting me know!

Christopher

Return to “Introduce Yourself”