Is VLC whacky or what?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
homerscousin

Is VLC whacky or what?

Post by homerscousin »

This is more informational than a question. For the last month or more I have had problems with screen blanking every 10 minutes and sound not starting for maybe 30 seconds when a video is played. Pausing a video would delay the sound once it got going. I had Dolphin open once a good month ago just deleting files from my download folder. Right click, delete, one file at a time. After a dozen or so files the screen went blank for a second or 2, back on, off for 3, on for 10, off for 1 etc. Just random. I did my searching, adjusted every setting I could find, tried different combos and still the problem was there. So I started paying attention to the apps I had open for a pattern. It came down to Dolphin, Firefox, VLC, and Kaffeine I had open prior to screen blanking. Well, I quit using VLC about 10 days ago and have had 0 problems since. I know VLC has an advanced button for preferences and I think I tried anything obvious. Didn't help. Whenever I opened and used VLC and then closed it it seemed to affect system settings. And it wasn't limited to screen blanking at 10 minutes. I also had a video playing once and blank time was 30 seconds, and another at 4 seconds. VLC also does not want to run a playlist in order(for me anyway). I found a checkbox in the advanced settings titled something like 'play files randomly forever' and thought AH HA, problem solved. I unchecked it, clicked save, closed the app and reopend it. Tried playing a DVD again and it is still random. Checked the settings and that particular box is checked again. I could not uncheck it and get it to stick. I don't know people. I kinda don't care now. I just don't use VLC any more. Kaffeine works fine.

Has anyone seen similar effects?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Is VLC whacky or what?

Post by homerscousin »

Just a quick update. I haven't touched VLC in about 2 weeks now. Computer uptime is now over 9 days. No problems at all.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I have usually found VLC to be pretty good, except in pulseaudio I sometimes was getting scratchy audio (changing the sound card settings improved it, output method...), video (movies) was OK

The only thing I would immediately suggest for any misbehaving application is..
  • Set the app for defaults, in initially and test
  • Whenever you make an application change, you might want to re-login (to get a fresh session for running that application
    --not always necessary, but you never know when it is, so it is good practice..
  • Assign more RAM to the application
    --that helps with OpenOffice/LibreOffice and presumably any other application that is slower loading or is a bit slow in operating its own menus..
And typically, there is sometimes an interaction or a bug either in an application or in the newer kernel vs the application
--doesn't get resolved except via some system or developer fix or work-around..
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Thank-you for posting some feedback on this subject. I discovered VLC years ago and ran it as my default video and audio player on Win xp for the last 5 or so years. No problems, until I moved to Linux. I was kinda hoping someone else had similar complaints so we could dig a bit deeper. It really doesn't matter because Kaffeine has taken its place. It's just why that baffels me.

Return to “Open Chat”