KDM doesn't start

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Phlaser

KDM doesn't start

Post by Phlaser »

I've been trying to boot Mint KDE mini on my rig but the live cd hangs when it gets to booting the GUI. At the part where it should do the nice little graphical initialization of the desktop (the one where the icons light up one after another), I get hung up in a verbose description of what should be happening under the nice little initialization screen. The hang up takes forever to get to (the linuxmint loading screen takes ages for some reason) and this is what I get:

Loading please wait...
Linux mint 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun OCT 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes iwth ABSOLUTELY NO WRRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

Q: What's the difference between a Mac and an Etch-a-Sketch?
A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.
mint@mint:~$ * Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf...

And thats where it hangs up. Btw that little joke part in the verbose readout is different each time I try it.
When booting under the safe graphic mode I get stuck on a screen that looks like the following:

Starting K Display Manager: kdm.
* Startomg Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
xserver -xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly customized configuration file: backup in /etc/xorg.confg.20080308191714
* Starting Samba daemons
* Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon
* Starting DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd
* Starting Bluetooth services
* Starting power management daemon powersaved
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): No such device

* Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
* Starting periodic command schedular crond
* Checking battery state
* Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

And thats where it stops. It just hangs there. I know the problem isn't with the media because I've been able to boot it on my laptop. I'm thinking it's probably got to do with some hardware compatibility but I just wanted to be sure. My rig looks like the following:

AMD AthlonX2 4600
1 gig of OCZ Ram
nVidia 8800GT
80gb WD IDE drive + 320 WD SATA drive

I feel like it might be the 64 bit processor, but I was under the impression that 64 bit processors could run 32 bit distros without a problem. Any help would be mightily appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: KDM doesn't start

Post by Husse »

FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): No such device
And you have an AMD cpu....
64 bit processor and 32 bit programs are quite OK - I've got an Athlon 64 3700+
I would not care for that error, but it's marked fatal...
If we suppose things work anyhow - have you tried "Safe graphics mode"?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Husse wrote:
And you have an AMD cpu....
64 bit processor and 32 bit programs are quite OK - I've got an Athlon 64 3700+
I would not care for that error, but it's marked fatal...
If we suppose things work anyhow - have you tried "Safe graphics mode"?
That is in safe graphics mode. The joke thing is fortunes, always come when a shell is started. And 64 bits CPU runs 32 just fine. Is this just limited to KDE?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Phlaser

Post by Phlaser »

I'll let you know soon as I try the main edition.
Phlaser

Post by Phlaser »

So I tried the main version of mint and I'm not able to boot to the gui. I'm actually getting the same problem as someone else is on this board a few topics up; it gets hung up at /etc/rc.local. This problem needs to be addressed in my opinion. The only thing I see that our two systems have in common by the way, is that we both have 64 bit amd processors.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

rc.local does not do anything per default, it is just a boot script that can be edited manually. I am guessing that it is an issue with X, somehow. Did you try to check the md5sum of the ISO, and burning at slow speeds? I also have an Athlon 64 X2 (not sure what specific, as I don't have that computer in front of me right now) and Mint runs just fine on that. Sorry, but I am stomped, I have no idea what could be causing this. Try looking at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602757
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Phlaser

Post by Phlaser »

Well as I said earlier, the same disc works perfectly on my laptop. So is there nobody that can help out with this? I was looking forward to using mint but if I can't then so be it.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

this is confusing me, if you have an Athelon 64, why would the system be trying to do anything with centrino, as that is all intel, that should not be there, not to mention you're running a desktop pc, right? So it is correct in saying that that device doesn't exist. It looks like your system is trying to start something it shouldn't be, though I'm not sure how to fix this.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I recommend starting a new topic instead of continuing an old one. Why?
Your post may be completely unnoticed and no help may come to you. I click "View your posts" normally at least once a day so I found your post but that may not be the case for everyone :)
I am glad that some of my wiki topics were helpful (oh yes - I've written as much there as here :))

Return to “Installation & Boot”