Oracle Java 7 vulnerable [unsolved]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mephisto

Re: Oracle Java 7 vulnerable [unsolved]

Post by mephisto »

Things have just got even better

Yet another Java flaw allows “complete” bypass of security sandbox
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09 ... y-sandbox/

Can somebody please post detailed instructions to completely purge java from Linux Mint Maya XCFE safely.
If I lose Libreoffice so be it. If they can't make it without java I don't want it.
What's next ? Installing Microsoft .net?
How can I purge Libreoffice safely to make sure everything associated with it is gone.
Java is about as reliable as Win 95 nowadays. Corporate arrogance and nothing else...
Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Again, that is a vulnerability of Oracle Java (formerly Sun Java). Unless you installed that manually, you are not at risk as Linux Mint 13 comes with OpenJDK Java.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

mephisto wrote:How can I purge Libreoffice safely to make sure everything associated with it is gone.
You don't have to remove the whole Libreoffice. Only a few parts of it require Java and you can turn it off. After that, just remove libreoffice-base, libreoffice-java-common and some of their dependencies (some packages with -java in their names), then you can proceed to removing Java itself.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Thanks Monsta and xenopeek

Return to “Open Chat”