Prossessor not in full use

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sanocon
Level 2
Level 2

Prossessor not in full use

Post by Sanocon »

so for a while ive been playing a game (Overgrowth if you want to know). and i've been noticing lag on my pc when i know its a bit stronger than the ps3 (here are the specs if you want to know.)
Processor : 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
Video Card : Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

so i checked the game to see if that was the problom, then i checked my system moniter while playing the game.
now as i'm typing this the game is loading and at least 1 proccessor is at full 100% others aren't working much 3 are mostly at 0 and the others range from 10% - 15% or one gets as high as 25% (and not any higher. and the ones that were working at 10% goes down to 6 - 8%

so the game is now running and i am getting 3 - 5 fps and the results are still the same as above.

now i heard from a friend that part of the programing of the linux 64-bit kernal that is only built to handle two processors - even though it can use more than 2 as i can see. so i have to get one that handles all of them easaly. i heard it was like 64-bit SDK(or something like that) which has the kernal to evenly use all the proccessors. any leads?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Prossessor not in full use

Post by nunol »

Sanocon wrote:now i heard from a friend that part of the programing of the linux 64-bit kernal that is only built to handle two processors - even though it can use more than 2 as i can see. so i have to get one that handles all of them easaly.
You have one processor with several cores and the 64bit (or the 32bit i686/i686-pae) Linux kernel supports that just fine.

Don't know that game so can't help you with that.
Sanocon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sanocon »

nunol wrote:
Sanocon wrote:now i heard from a friend that part of the programing of the linux 64-bit kernal that is only built to handle two processors - even though it can use more than 2 as i can see. so i have to get one that handles all of them easaly.
You have one processor with several cores and the 64bit (or the 32bit i686/i686-pae) Linux kernel supports that just fine.

Don't know that game so can't help you with that.
Yea I meant cores, I did a hickup there.
joepmcfarren

Post by joepmcfarren »

UBUNTU use full processor speed by the command instruction.
#cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

2267000 2266000 1600000 800000

Set the frequency for all CPU cores with the following command

#cpufreq-selector -c {0,1} -f 2267000

(Here I have dual core so gave {0,1})
Sanocon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sanocon »

joepmcfarren wrote:UBUNTU use full processor speed by the command instruction.
#cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

2267000 2266000 1600000 800000

Set the frequency for all CPU cores with the following command

#cpufreq-selector -c {0,1} -f 2267000

(Here I have dual core so gave {0,1})
And I thought this thread was dead... anyways, I found out my processor is a quad core with mutithreading and its only using the single thread capabilities, is there a way to actavate the mutithreading capability?

Return to “Hardware Support”