Howto Disable Hibernate when I close my Laptop Lid?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
officialhopsof

Howto Disable Hibernate when I close my Laptop Lid?

Post by officialhopsof »

I can't seem to find a setting for this. How can I make my computer not hibernate/sleep when I close my laptop lid?

Just in case you are wondering I have the following:
Dell XPS 17
2nd gen i7
LMDE w/ Cinnamon (freshly installed and fully up to date)
Nvidia GTS 555m

I can make this change in Mate fairly easily via the screen saver settings dialog. Cinnamon seems to have no such dialog or similar setting.

Thank you for your time,
Brandon Murphy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Howto Disable Hibernate when I close my Laptop Lid?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
TomRoche

Post by TomRoche »

I am also having this problem, which is one reason why I'm running MATE (though cinnamon is definitely prettier).
azertywarrior12

Post by azertywarrior12 »

Could you test this:

Hit Alt + F2 and type in dconf-editor.

When that's open, in the left on the tree list do this:

Code: Select all

Expand: Org
Expand: Gnome
Expand: settings-daemon
Expand: Plugins
Click: Power

Change:
lid-close-ac-action: nothing (or your choice)
lid-close-battery-action: nothing (or your choice)
Close dconf-editor.

Hit alt + F2 and type r and try to close the lid. Post your conclusion, did it work or not?
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

I can't seem to find a setting for this.
:idea: Why not try xfce, or even KDE. :D

Not meaning to cast any doubts on warrior's suggestions.
mixolyd

Post by mixolyd »

Use gnome-tweak-tool under shell setting. It will show up in menu as "Advanced Settings"
phishsauce

Post by phishsauce »

I can confirm that azertywarrior12 solution works on LMDE gnome3 + cinnamon.
uvajed

Post by uvajed »

I can also happily confirm that the solution above works for me! Is there some other power manager built into CInnamon that I am missing? If not, there needs to be, as 99% of users would never be able to solve this on their own or by trial and error. Thank you SOOO much for this!

I had been reluctant to use CInnamon solely due to the fact that it would hibernate when I closed the laptop's lid, as my Toshitba Satellite L775D will not resume correctly when told by Mint to sleep/hibernate. As a result of this I have been trying to use MATE (which presents me with sound and volume issues), and trying out Mint Maya with KDE. Now I think I might be able to stick with LMDE and CInnamon, which is what I would rather do. Of course I was perfectly happy with Gnome 2, but that is beside the point now.
bkn

Post by bkn »

azertywarrior12's suggestion doesn't seem to work for me. I used dconf-editor to set my lid-close action on battery to "suspend", but nothing seems to happen on lid close when I'm on Cinnamon.

I have another user id on the machine that uses MATE, and suspend on lid-close seems to be working fine there. In fact if both users are logged in, I can get the system to suspend on lid close if I close the lid after switching to the second user's screen using Ctrl-Alt-F8, but when I'm on the CInnamon desktop user's screen, suspend on lid-close doesn't happen.
X3MBoy

Post by X3MBoy »

The problem with Gnome 3.X is that systemd override gnome configuration for ACPI. A fix is to edit the /etc/systemd/logind.conf and set the HandleLidSwitch to ignore and restart systemd with sudo systemctl restart systemd-logind.service

Hope that help,

Eduard "X3MBoy" Lucena

Return to “LMDE Archive”