HALT causing Monitor Problem?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: HALT causing Monitor Problem?

Post by Husse »

I don't quite understand you - could you rephrase?
Topic moved to proper forum
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

To start with the easy bit
How to get rid of that "Video out of range" warning screen?
Hopefully not :) This is the monitor giving a message.... (at least I think so)
For the rest - the screen goes blank - so does my mind :shock:
I don't recall such a problem - some reports exist that the little "shut down sub menu" does not apperar can be found.
A bad install?
It works on the live CD you say
Husse

Post by Husse »

NVidia Settings
Oh yes - they are a bad example of Linux at its almost worst
Don't use the settings on the main page - changes to xorg.conf as it destroys any special mouse or other settings you have.
And it must be run with sudo or better gksudo. Settings are not sticky (have not checked lately though) To get them sticky see my post in the howto section
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =42&t=3908
If you don't use dual monitors there is a trick to get your vertical refresh rate higher.
But
someone else with a fx5xxx card experienced problems using this and I think his monitor got out of range
Issue xvidtune in a terminal and click cancel in the box that pops up
In the terminal you now have your monitors refresh rates.
I think you know where in xorg.conf to put these
Then for Section "Device" add

Code: Select all

Option 		"DynamicTwinView" "False"
at the end - and voila, you get 60Hz
or a completely white screen which has to be fixed in recovery mode or a failsafe session
Husse

Post by Husse »

Aha - beauty comes at a price...
What you experienced if I read you right is that another Linux distro did not add Mint to it's menu.lst
In my experience it's (almost) only the Ubiqity installer for Ubuntu that does that
PCLOS don't give a sh-t about anything but Windows, so if you want to boot several distros you'll have to learn to copy between different menu.lst
Sad - but that's how it is...

Return to “Other topics”