Linux Mint Server Edition??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xclusive585

Linux Mint Server Edition??

Post by xclusive585 »

Well, I like the ease of Ubuntu server vs. Debian. It allows a quicker setup of a server, and does so with better hardware support.

I like Mint, vs. Ubuntu, due to the stability of having Mint manage the package updates, vs Ubuntu who often causes breakages with updates.

So the question begs to be asked, will the Mint team release a command line only server version for servers and headless machines??? All it takes is to compile a release that doesn't use a desktop, so.... please??? I would be greatful to participate in headless testing. Perhaps do what you do with Ubuntu, but do it with Ubuntu Server as well???

(Yes I could install mint on a server, and disable the GUI, but I'd prefer a "clean" method. It'd be nice to have the guts of mint without the desktop packages installed at all or depended on.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Mint Server Edition??

Post by Monsta »

xclusive585 wrote:All it takes is to compile a release that doesn't use a desktop, so....
...so the most likely answer to such questions is: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918 :)

Also, what exactly do you need on this server in addition to what the pure Debian Testing can offer? Almost everything Mint provides in its repo has something to do with GUI. The only advantage you're going to get is the relative stability (compared to Debian Testing) because of the update packs instead of a rolling release. But then... wouldn't it make more sense to get Debian Stable and install it on your server? :)
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

Out of the box, Ubuntu command line is a little more colorful and easier to use than pure Debian. And while (finally) the current Debian stable does support my server hardware, the previous stable did not, where Ubuntu server did. The other thing to consider, is Debians manual partitioner (which you have to use to setup soft RAID) is a pain in the @ss compared to Ubuntu's setup of the manual partitioner, not a big deal but definitely another reason for Ubuntu server, vs Debian testing or stable.

So, it's not really "needs" I have, rather it's "wants". Basically the "want" of a server system with Ubuntu's package support, but without the number of upgrades/ breakages of a Ubuntu system.

And when you do run gui programs off of a server (x-forwarded to desktop machines), you do end up with a good deal of desktop packages installed in your system, even if it is headless and CLI.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

Have you checked out Turnkey Linux? I have some VM's of theirs running, and tested it on a live system works pretty sweet.
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/
Teaker1s

Post by Teaker1s »

Turnkey linux will be great when their lamp server has 64bit version- I tested the 32bit one breifly

It may be old news but I have long run gui server and since 12.04 it appears the kernels are same.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=114675 (waits for the abuse)
my current Frankenstein server HP Mediasmart ex490 £125 new- has mint on it because all the other "server editions" fail on an sis 191 ethernet bug ( which an apple clone usb ethernet £5.86 off ebay was my work around)
selfaction

Post by selfaction »

Visit the 32 bits edition :
Lxirsever
Apache MySql Php Webmin Chat (data sql secure) Roundcube IMAP Nocc PO3 Htaccess interface Log-monitor-stat
Secure MySql password-acces FTP Web ( h t t p://user.lxirserver ) with Nginx proxy_pass 1Go
64 bits ed. with Nginx and self security system. 1Go
http://linuxlxir.blogspot.fr/

Return to “LMDE Archive”