Back with Mint again

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Back with Mint again

Post by rmcellig »

Here I am again and I hope that this time I will stay much longer with Linux Mint. One of the things about Linux distros is that you have a tendency to distro hop thinking the next distro is better than the last one you tried. I tried Mint Cinnamon and LXDE but never tried Mate so here goes with another round with Linux Mint.

The other distro I can seem to live without but unfortunately I have two issues with is the great Puppy Linux. Very special distro.

I'm really looking forward to giving Mate a try and hope that it will do all that I need it to. Glad to be back :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Back with Mint again

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome back, rmcellig. I go through spells like that myself from time to time. As a user of Mint 13 MATE, I can tell you that it is very much like using Mint 9 (if you have used that one before). Of course the big difference is that Mint 13 has much more up-to-date apps. I find it to be very stable and very pleasant to use.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Ya I remember Mint 9. That was a great distro to use. I agree. Do you know when Mint 14 will be released?
Take care,

Randy
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen: Good day and welcome to the forum
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi rmcellig, welcome back to the Linux Mint forums :D MATE is very good, it's currently my main desktop. Recommend you upgrade to MATE 1.4; it is much improved over the 1.2 version that comes with Linux Mint 13. You can upgrade with a few steps, as shared here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p624015

Have fun with Linux Mint & MATE.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

I tried these three commands but when I restarted my machine it said that I am still running MATE 1.2. Should I start over again? Please advice. Thanks!!

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"
printf "\nPackage: *\nPin: origin packages.mate-desktop.org\nPin-Priority: 700\n" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --yes --force-yes mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Take care,

Randy
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

See my reply to your topic on that: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 82#p632882. Please don't double post questions :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

rmcelig, welcome back!

I also like to try different distros, but Mint is the only one I have ever been able to get to work with certain program I won't live without. Plus, I really like Mint, and the Mint community. I keep trying other distos not because I think I will find anything 'better' (I think that has as many different definitions are there are ppl, lol), but because I like to try new things, and I want to learn Linux. I don't really expect to move away from Mint for my primary OS (with Xfce, yay!). However, I would like to build a small, clean OS, maybe with Openbox, or probably Xfce. I am working with Arch Linux right now because it lets (forces?) you start really small and and things carefully, instead of a huge bolus. However, will take me quite a while just to get the basics to work, lots to learn!

Glad you came back to Mint!

caerolle :)
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Sorry about the double posting.
Take care,

Randy