particle effect (snow,rain)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
homerscousin

particle effect (snow,rain)

Post by homerscousin »

I'm running Mint 13 KDE. I know the particle effect was dropped some time ago. But, I read in some forum that it was possible to create the same effect through a script or whatever and add it to a wallpaper?? I'm not much of a gamer, but to have that perfect wallpaper with a raging blizzard or torrential downpour would make my day. Can I do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: particle effect (snow,rain)

Post by homerscousin »

Update, if anyone is interested in this sort of thing. I happened to view a you-tube video on the new features of KDE 4.9 recently and saw a related video on DreamDesktop animated wallpaper. A Polish developer is writing this as a plugin for KDE, but it has not been released yet. As far as I can tell, it runs a video clip in place of a static wallpaper image. You can loop and change frame rate. The concept isn't new. Efficiency seems to have been an issue. I hope the plugin will allow using any video clip and not just that supplied with the plugin.

If this is released and does work as expected, I want to have a few video clips ready for use. I did a quick search thru you-tube and elsewhere and did not see anything I liked. All I need is a 30 second 1080p clip of a desolate winter scene with light snowfall, or a rainforest type scene with a waterfall or some kind of moving water. I want nature only, no people, very serene and of course very fitting for a wallpaper. Maybe someone can suggest a video? I guess there are BBC Nature videos I could rip a piece out of. That might be time consuming.

Does this sound like a fun thing to do if it did not consume more than 2-3% of CPU?

Here are 2 urls if anyone is interested:
http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=8192
http://thinkmoult.com/2012/06/20/tech-t ... rs-in-kde/

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”