[SOLVED] LMDE - /home on different drive

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gusio

[SOLVED] LMDE - /home on different drive

Post by gusio »

hi
i wanted to make a triple boot setup. i have two 80GB samsung drives. one faster, one slower. i wanted to have shared swap partition and root partitions for LMDE, Arch and Win7 on a faster drive and use a second drive as a shared data-/home partition for LMDE, Arch and Win7. In LMDE (201204) installer i dont see an option for a separate drive /home partition install. It would be great to have this possibility, especially considering SSDs which are still expensive/small and mainly used as OS storage. Would it be hard to maybe implement it in UP5 LMDE iso ?
Just eliminate the question where do i want to install my SYSTEM :) (or give an option to install user/home space on a different drive....
If not how should i create a /home partition after installation ? And should i make it after or before updating to UP5 ?

thanks and cheers !!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caramba
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE - /home on different drive

Post by caramba »

A way to do that is to create a symbolic link to the other drive. You need to declare the drive in fstab, install a mount point, and create the link.
It should even be possible to mount the drive using /home as a mount point, providing that you copy the /home data before activating the drive.
This is quite standard and should work with any distro.
Good luck
Caramba
gusio

Re: LMDE - /home on different drive

Post by gusio »

thanks. solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”