DivX and Codec-V?[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Guan

DivX and Codec-V?[SOLVED]

Post by Guan »

Been trying to watch some videos online and I keep running into two issues:

1. I try to watch the video and my browser reports back I need to install a Codec-V.... some spyware ridden windows "codec" to play the video.

2. This may be related to issue 1, but my browsers are reporting that the DivX plugin is not installed, but I don't know which package installs it.

Could anyone help me out? I'm running LM12 using the Cinnamon DM. The browsers I've found this issue with are Iron, Chrome and Firefox.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: DivX and Codec-V?

Post by AlbertP »

I think both are looking for Windows browser plugins instead of codecs. But if you used a CD or other edition without preinstalled codecs you can try "Install Codecs" from the menu which won't install spyware.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Guan

Post by Guan »

After further research, I think this is linked to the mint-meta-codecs package. For some reason even though I have already installed it, it still has an option to install on the welcome screen. That in turn, makes me think that it did not install correctly. Does anyone know how to completely remove the mint-meta-codecs package AND all the associated plugins that it installs, so I can try for a clean installation?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can try clicking the install codecs option again. Then it'll probably disappear.
Indeed, it's installing mint-meta-codecs.
Guan

Post by Guan »

I fixed the issue. I had to install the package libavifile-0.7c2. I'm not sure if that package is included in mint-meta-codecs, but as soon as I installed it the codec messages went away and the web content started playing as normal.
Guan

Post by Guan »

*Sigh*... issue is not fixed. From what I can tell mint-meta-codecs is installed correctly, but I still don't have DivX support. Any takers?
opiumpoetry

Post by opiumpoetry »

Guan wrote:Been trying to watch some videos online and I keep running into two issues:

1. I try to watch the video and my browser reports back I need to install a Codec-V.... some spyware ridden windows "codec" to play the video.

2. This may be related to issue 1, but my browsers are reporting that the DivX plugin is not installed, but I don't know which package installs it.

Could anyone help me out? I'm running LM12 using the Cinnamon DM. The browsers I've found this issue with are Iron, Chrome and Firefox.

Thanks in advance for replies.
what's the videos URL?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You said Codec-V was spyware? Then maybe it only wants to install the codec because the webmaster wants to spy on your computer, or wants to make money with his advertising of Codec-V. Codec-V is not a normal video codec. The video codec here is probably DivX or something like that, which you should be able to play with the Mint codecs installed.

This is McAfee's SiteAdvisor report about the website of the Codec-V creators: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/allpremiumplay.info
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

Its very simple to deal with this. Watch these 2 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9UOqHSFYlw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xZ3Ic7nRIU
Guan

Post by Guan »

Turns out Codec-V is a very malicous advert that many of the video viewing sites are using now. For the meantime, I am avoiding the sites that allow avertising for that, and staying in the virus free realms of Linux. Marking as solved.

Return to “Sound”