NTFS on Daryna KDE CE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

NTFS on Daryna KDE CE

Post by jpedrosa »

Hi,
i'm having a strange issue.

if i connect my external HDD that is formated as NTFS, all goes fine.
But i have another disk in my computer that is in NTFS, where i used to store docs, that i can't mount anymore.

i got this error:
"hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused for uid 1000"
i'm the uid 1000, this seems a permission problem, but I'm not getting it.

In Celena, there was an util to enable the mounting of NTFS volumes, in this, it doesn't seem necessary, because it's mounting external drives without a problem.

any help?

Edit:
Mint is reporting the External HDD Filesystem as "ntfs-3g"
and the volume i'm having problems is "ntfs"

best regards,
JP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NTFS on Daryna KDE CE

Post by jpedrosa »

ok, i've done it using:
sudo mkdir /mnt/<any name>
sudo mount /dev/sda<device number> /mnt/<the name above>

but can you tell me the reason, why it needs to go with sudo??

JP
Fred

Post by Fred »

Only root can create a folder in /mnt. And, you must have a folder to mount a partition to.

Unlike Windows, Linux only sees the file system. It does not see drives or partitions. In order to access a partition you must bind or mount it to a folder in the file system. You can create a folder anywhere in the file system and mount a partition to it. Depending on where you create the folder you wish to mount to, you may or may not have to have root privileges.

Fred

EDIT: If you want the mount to be automatic on boot, you have to have a line in /etc/fstab to make it persistent.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Ah, had a bit of an issue with mounting, (using Elyssa XFCE CE), and I was surprised as hell when that actually worked. Cheers, mate.

Return to “Software & Applications”