[SOLVED] SATA 2.0 SSD failure on SATA 1.0 laptop with Maya

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ricky22

[SOLVED] SATA 2.0 SSD failure on SATA 1.0 laptop with Maya

Post by ricky22 »

Hello,

I recently bought a SanDisk Ultra SSD (120GB, SATA 2.0) and put it in my 5 year old HP Compaq 6720s with SATA 1.0. It worked fine for two months. Then I noticed the error message "ATA revalidation failed" when resuming from Suspend, then all files in one folder suddenly became corrupted, and then on next resume, the disk failed and the laptop wouldn't boot. I took it out and connected it as external on USB, the system would not even see the disk.

I got the disk replaced, it works fine so far, but again it's showing the "ATA revalidation failed" msg when resuming from Suspend. Is it possible that SATA 1.0, SATA 2.0 plus Mint are somehow not working together? I found a thread where someone recommended changing ATA setting in BIOS to ASPI as the solution to a similar problem. Is there a setting in my BIOS i could change that would fix this conflict?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Patrick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: SATA 2.0 SSD failure on SATA 1.0 laptop with Maya

Post by remoulder »

I would suggest you ask the computer manufacturer, this is a linuxmint support forum
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ricky22

Post by ricky22 »

Hi Remoulder,

Thank you for your reply.

The error message "ATA revalidation failed" comes from Ubuntu. Google search for similar problems does not return anything that is not related to Linux, and does return a number of similar problems, mainly people unable to boot after installing Ubuntu/Mint on an SSD.

As far as I can see it could be something to do with Ubuntu/Mint, so I would like to hear some feedback from people in this Forum.

Many thanks,

Patrick
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

That may be, but you have asked the exact same question on the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2063991 in which you state you are running ubuntu.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

We can't really help you with the BIOS question as that is specific to your computer how the BIOS works. It's sometimes suggested with errors with hard disks to change from AHCI to IDE mode, or the other way around, in the BIOS. Suspend is often problematic with laptops and Linux, as the laptop manufacturers don't support Linux (or not fully) and the wake from suspend may give various errors depending on the model of you laptop. It can take a bit of tweaking to get it all to work right. Though I'm not convinced this will cause hardware failure; it causes your computer not to work properly after wake from suspend and usually needing a reboot to get everything working normally again.
ricky22

Post by ricky22 »

Hi Vincent,

Understood. Many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Patrick

Return to “Open Chat”