[SOLVED] Minitube crashing again

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wswack

[SOLVED] Minitube crashing again

Post by wswack »

Minitube has been working fine since version 1.8. Two days ago it started to crash. every time, when opening a video. The initial screen appears for less then a second, then the program closes.

I have two computers. One is a home built desktop, the other is a Sony laptop. The problem occurred on both computers at the same time, so I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem. Both computers are running LM 13 Cinnamon. The only significant difference between the two systems is that one has current updates while the other hasn't been updated for a several weeks. Therefore, this problem doesn't seem to be related to updates.

A few days ago I did install k3b on both systems, but minitube was working after that. Nonetheless I tried uninstalling k3b. I have also purged and reinstalled minitube, purged and reinstalled both the adobe-flashplugin. and the mint-flashplugin (separately of course). Google hasn't provided anything useful, though there are posts about the previous problems.

I will be grateful for any feed back about this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Minitube crashing again

Post by remoulder »

Start the program in a terminal and see what errors are reported.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There was some sort of change made on YouTube's end. There is a new version of MiniTube that takes care of the problem.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/desk ... outube-fix
wswack

Post by wswack »

Thank you Exploder. I found it on removed. Interestingly I had installed in from there when I was trying to fix it so the must have just gotten the new version,
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Minitube crashing again

Post by NeoMint »

Solved (to build your own) for Debian (Sqeeze tested); currently "stable", and so I presume LMDE:

The sId minitube v1.7 is not currently working; no matter.

v1.9 from the Debian forums:
A new version of Minitube1.9 is available and it works in stable!: To get it up and running directly from source:
The usual prerequisites:

# aptitude install build-essential qt4-dev-tools libphonon-dev libqtgui4 libqt4-xml libqt4-network libqt4-dbus phonon-backend-gstreamer gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad checkinstall

As normal user:

cd ~/ && mkdir tmp && cd tmp/
wget http://flavio.tordini.org/files/minitub ... 1.9.tar.gz
tar xvzf minitube-1.9.tar.gz
cd minitube
qmake-qt4 && make

(qt3 is no good)
su to root:

checkinstall

Optional: When it asks for a description for the package:" type Native YouTube Client and press enter twice.
DONE!
Orang_Gila

Post by Orang_Gila »

Slight correction:

wget http://flavio.tordini.org/files/minitub ... ube.tar.gz
tar xvzf minitube.tar.gz

Thanks for the solution.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

The ultimate solution to this is the following:
1- get the latest version of Minitube at: http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/webupd8-am ... 4.deb.html

2- There's a GStreamer bug (in the gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad package) in the latest Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin and other possibly distros that breaks MPEG4 (.mp4) playback for applications such as Totem, Minitube and others. AS Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu it has inherited this bug. To fix this run the following command in terminal:
- 32bit:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so.bak
- 64bit:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so.bak

It's that simple bros!!!!!
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Minitube 1.9 will not work from the ubuntu repos in a debian build. There are two unmet dependencies libc6 and phonon4.

Return to “LMDE Archive”