The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by Schoelje »

The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 SR2

16/10/2012: I've uploaded a service release with (almost) all known bugs resolved
  • The 32-bit version includes both the 486 and the PAE (most modern CPUs) kernel. On PAE machines both kernels are installed where PAE is the default kernel and the 486 kernel can be used as a fallback.
  • Live Installer had to support multi-kernel live DVDs and some graphical changes were made.
  • DDM had some bugs resolved.

Downloads
If you are running UP4 and you haven't upgraded yet, you can download a bash script that I've been using to create the isos: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages ... p5-upgrade (right click and save link as...)
If you have Nvidia drivers installed, don't forget to reinstall them after reboot.

===========================================================================================
LMDE KDE 64-bit (1.4 GB)
Torrent: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde6 ... so.torrent
Direct: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde6 ... 201210.iso
md5sum: 00a01f04bcee537491ba05c06120738f

LMDE KDE 32-bit (1.4 GB) (includes 486 and pae kernel)
Torrent: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde3 ... so.torrent
Direct: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde3 ... 201210.iso
md5sum: e284e78a72763e7f40a8d42880e263bc
===========================================================================================

Don't forget to choose a repository mirror when you're done installing:

Code: Select all

sudo mint-choose-debian-mirror
sudo apt-get update

Known bugs
Reboot or close live environment
A new "feature" was introduced in the live-boot package: you need to hit ENTER twice before you can actually reboot or close...but not always.

Added packages
It was democratically decided that Digikam and kipi-plugins are going to be part of the unofficial LMDE KDE.
There were more votes for Wine and Playonlinux but unfortunately there were too many technical difficulties for the 64-bit version. Of course, with UP5 comes the long expected KDE 4.8.

Custom packages
Device Driver Manager (DDM)
The purpose of the application is to facilitate easy driver install for inexperienced users.
Supported hardware: Nvidia, ATI and Braodcom.
It can also check whether you can upgrade your kernel to pae if you are running 32-bit on a multi-core system.
DDM has its own thread on this forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

Welcome Screen
This new welcome screen includes third-party hardware detection.
The actual driver installation is done by DDM.

Debian Plymouth Manager
Front-end for plymouth: my first Python/Glade project.

Several other packages to ensure that future upgrades will have no influence on the way LMDE KDE functions.
  • lmdekde-system-adjustments
  • mint-artwork-lmdekde
  • mint-configuration-lmdekde
  • plymouth-themes-lmdekde
Live Installer, Device Driver Manager, Debian Plymouth Screen and Welcome Screen are works in progress they might not deliver as expected in some cases.
A lot of work is still to be done:
  • Localizing the applications (translations needed!)
  • Adding more supported hardware to DDM while improving the existing code.
    If you feel like pitching in: https://github.com/linuxmint/device-driver-manager
  • Re-designing the live installer: try to make it look more professional.

Desktop handling
Handling the desktop, traditionally was done by overriding the Debian scripts with custom scripts. This approach did not work anymore with the new version of KDE so I had to recode the scripts that handled the desktop creation for new users. Instead of overriding I choose to Mintify the default Debian desktop. Even when all fails you'll have a perfectly good desktop although it won't look Minty.

Screenshots
Last edited by Schoelje on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:36 am, edited 22 times in total.
GeneC

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5

Post by GeneC »

For those thinking about it.... :D
I installed Schoelje's RC1 of this release and its been running beautifully for several weeks. DDM (Device Driver Manager) properly recognized my Nvidia card, and installed the proper driver. Very slick.

Give it a try..... :D

Thanks for all the hard work Schoelje.
Last edited by GeneC on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlake

Post by wlake »

I've tried to do a fresh install of UP5 from a USB drive on my ASUS netbook 1001PX several times. The installer starts up, I give all the relevant information and the installer begins to install and then the installer window disappears. No errors, no nothing, no freezes just gone. This is from the x64 bit edition. I'm at a loss.

PS The UP4 edition installed fine.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

That's strange, I haven't had that problem.
The only thing different is the added slideshow so...could you try this before installing and let me know if that worked:

sudo mv /usr/share/live-installer/slideshow/index.html /usr/share/live-installer/slideshow/index.html.bak
Now start the live installer:

kdesudo live-installer
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Installed a few minutes after it was uploaded. The install process was perfection on my HP laptop. The DDM opened upon first boot, and correctly identified my ATI video, and correctly indicated that it was uninstallable.

All my standard post-install apps installed without a hitch. Very nice job Schoelje. I will not be at all surprised if in the coming months Clem gives official Community Edition status to Linux Mint Debian KDE.

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

first thing i did when i got home from work was fire-up transmission and start downloading it (will be seeding as well for some time- the 64bit only unless there's demand for the 32bit also and are no seeders out there)

and i agree completely with tdockery: won't be long until we can start referring to this edition as LMDE-KDE CE
wlake

Post by wlake »

Schoelje wrote:That's strange, I haven't had that problem.
The only thing different is the added slideshow so...could you try this before installing and let me know if that worked:

sudo mv /usr/share/live-installer/slideshow/index.html /usr/share/live-installer/slideshow/index.html.bak
Now start the live installer:

kdesudo live-installer
Great ! After this I was able to complete the install. One additional thing though, with the previous failed installs, the installer thought the usb key drive was /dev/sdb and the internal hard drive was /dev/sda as you would expect. After doing the above commands though, the installer thought the usb key drive was /dev/sda and the internal drive was /dev/sdb (i.e. the reverse). This of course messed up the grub.cfg file because theroot was set to /dev/sdb rather than /dev/sda. I hope this is of some help to you because this distro is really a wonderful piece of work. Congratulations.

Kind regards,
wlake
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Good work, Schoelje. I'll help with the seeding.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

wlake wrote:Great ! After this I was able to complete the install. One additional thing though, with the previous failed installs, the installer thought the usb key drive was /dev/sdb and the internal hard drive was /dev/sda as you would expect. After doing the above commands though, the installer thought the usb key drive was /dev/sda and the internal drive was /dev/sdb (i.e. the reverse). This of course messed up the grub.cfg file because theroot was set to /dev/sdb rather than /dev/sda.
Could you post the steps you took to correct grub?
This might help other users with the same problem.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje, as you know I was running UP4. I've updated to UP5 with the script you kindly provided. There was an issue. The install appeared to go fine. Upon rebooting, X didn't start. "No screen found." sgfxi was used during installation of UP4 for the NVidia drivers. Not sure what to do with no X, I called sgfxi, which fortunately was still there and worked. Everything seems to be working fine now. But the Device Driver Manager recommends installing an NVidia driver and indicates it is not present. Should I use the DDM now and install as it suggests or ignore it?

Also my home folder has a bunch of of debs. Should I just delete them?

Thank you and here's to an official LMDE KDE soon.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TeaSwigger wrote:Schoelje, as you know I was running UP4. I've updated to UP5 with the script you kindly provided. There was an issue. The install appeared to go fine. Upon rebooting, X didn't start. "No screen found." sgfxi was used during installation of UP4 for the NVidia drivers. Not sure what to do with no X, I called sgfxi, which fortunately was still there and worked. Everything seems to be working fine now. But the Device Driver Manager recommends installing an NVidia driver and indicates it is not present. Should I use the DDM now and install as it suggests or ignore it?
Because you installed the previous drivers with sgfxi, you should reinstall the drivers with sgfxi and ignore DDM.
DDM only looks at the drivers provided by the repositories and is not aware of any other drivers (that is something that's on my whish list but does not have a high priority).
TeaSwigger wrote:Also my home folder has a bunch of of debs. Should I just delete them?
If the upgrade was successful (check that first), you can safely delete them.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje,
tried twice to install it (64bit, md5sum checked ok) and both times the installer vanishes (crashes) immediately after installing perl (both times same place)

did not try the workaround you provided to wlake (will certainly work i'm sure)

/just reporting
wlake

Post by wlake »

Schoelje wrote:
wlake wrote:Great ! After this I was able to complete the install. One additional thing though, with the previous failed installs, the installer thought the usb key drive was /dev/sdb and the internal hard drive was /dev/sda as you would expect. After doing the above commands though, the installer thought the usb key drive was /dev/sda and the internal drive was /dev/sdb (i.e. the reverse). This of course messed up the grub.cfg file because theroot was set to /dev/sdb rather than /dev/sda.
Could you post the steps you took to correct grub?
This might help other users with the same problem.
All I did was edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and change all instances of /dev/sdb to /dev/sda. I did it from another distro on the hd but you could probably do it from the live cd. When I noticed the installer was going to install grub to sdb, I chose to install grub to the installation (root) partition rather than the mbr. Then started another distro on the hd and did the edit from this distro, then I ran sudo update-grub to pick up UP5, rebooted and started UP5 from my old grub. If you install UP5 grub to mbr initially, then you would want to edit grub.cfg from the live cd because I'm guessing UP5 would not boot.

However if you install to mbr then on your first boot you can edit the grub line (choose e do the edit and then Ctrl-x) that pops up to point to the right hd. This would not be permanent but once you are into UP5 you could then edit grub.cfg.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@zerozero
This is just a stab in the dark, but could you test something for me?

Boot the iso and run this:

wget -c http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages/live-installer_2012.09.29.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i live-installer_2012.09.29.1_all.deb
and run Live Installer again.

It seems that the JavaScript in the slideshow does not mix well with some code in the installer (but not on all systems).
In this version I start the slideshow in a separate thread in the hope that when the JavaScript does something bad, the installer will continue.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:Custom packages
Live Installer
A slideshow was added to the live installer.
This slide has an error. LMDE is actually a semi-rolling distro, not a true rolling one. A rolling distro indicates that updated packages come in directly as they are released while LMDE holds many releases and pushes them out in release packs. It may be a nitpicking item but there have been enough discussions on the forums here and elsewhere about whether LMDE is a rolling distro that we should be accurate in our description of it. (Yes, I'm saying "we" and "our" because even as an enthusiastic daily user I feel a bit of ownership in LMDE KDE, even if I don't do even the wee bit of testing I'm able to do. 8) )
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: and run Live Installer again.
ok, atm i have mixed results (what is bad :lol: ):
fired up the liveUSB again and grabbed your latest installer:
- first 2 times it crashed again (in different places)
i don't if this is related but both times i went to do something else (first time check something in FF and second time check internet settings because it dropped)
- third time i started live-installer through konsole and it finished just fine

will keep testing
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I'm afraid the object that loads the slideshow is a FF object.
I bet if you run the installer without opening FF, the installer runs fine.
That means that I have to go back to the drawing board and create a slideshow without the FF object...
I could make it open a page every x seconds, but than you won't have that nice slide from right to left of the screen...
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

zerozero wrote:
Schoelje wrote: and run Live Installer again.
ok, atm i have mixed results (what is bad :lol: ):
fired up the liveUSB again and grabbed your latest installer:
- first 2 times it crashed again (in different places)
i don't if this is related but both times i went to do something else (first time check something in FF and second time check internet settings because it dropped)
- third time i started live-installer through konsole and it finished just fine

will keep testing
I just wrote an article for my site about LMDE KDE UP5. Should I put it on hold until Zero's issues are resolved?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:I'm afraid the object that loads the slideshow is a FF object.
By "FF" do you mean Firefox? The abbreviation for Firefox is actually "Fx" but if you're referring to something else I'm drawing a blank on what it is.
pixelfields

Post by pixelfields »

Hi all,
I was running UP4 and today I've updated to UP5 with script in this post. Everything seems ok, except one thing. The oxygen styles in my GTK applications (f.e. thunderbird, firefox, gimp, and new DDM) disappeared, and I have a pure GTK look in them. I would like to ask more experienced users of KDE, how I can solve it and put the styles back.

P.S. Schoelje, if you still looking for translators, I can help you with Czech and Russian language.

Regards.

pixelfields

Return to “Chat about Linux”