there is no /boot/grub/stage1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jetblack

there is no /boot/grub/stage1

Post by jetblack »

Just installed to hard drive mint4. But it would not boot. It gave error code 15. I have tried to run from another distro that has grub. By adding mint4 to its grub.conf. Same error code. Looking at the documentation I find that grub can be run in terminal. So I chrooted into the mint / folder. I can run grub in cli but cannot set it up as there is no /boot/grub/stage1 as there is no /boot/grub folder. Is this a bug? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: there is no /boot/grub/stage1

Post by Husse »

If your install has
no /boot/grub folder.
the install is seriously flawed and you have to reinstall
Before you do that check the md5sum of the iso
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Yeah, that's really bad. Are you sure your HD is good? Installing good info onto bad blocks always goes wrong.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
jetblack

Post by jetblack »

I'll have a go at reinstalling.

Thanks for the advice :)
jetblack

Post by jetblack »

I reburned the cd. I reinstalled. The same thing happened. There is no way that this disto is usable of a harddrive. Even when putting the correct lines into grub from another distro the thing wont boot. And k3b checked the md5 sum as a matter of course. :x
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is no way that this disto is usable of a harddrive.
You know what - that's a really stupid comment :evil:
There are many thousands installed Mint.
I'd say and know that it's true that there is no way this happens unless you do something wrong. Do you select a boot partition and then not look in it?
jetblack

Post by jetblack »

There is no way that this disto is usable of a harddrive.
Its not that stupid. I tried to install a previous version of mint and ran into problems. Also, as I wrote I have made two attempts to install mint4.

Most other distros install ok - including /grub/boot.

As smooth as this distro is as a live distro, it will remain just that for myself. An uninstallable live distro. :x

Return to “Installation & Boot”