New keyboard grief

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Important information

New keyboard grief

Postby rmockler on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 pm

I have a peculiar problem which I have no idea how to solve. I have a Toshiba Portege R200 laptop, and a few keys were no longer working, so I decided it was time for a new keyboard. I purchased a replacement keyboard that appears to be identical to the original one. I removed the old keyboard and installed the new one. I am using Linux Mint 13, Mate. All the keys work properly except for two. When I press the Delete key, it behaves as though I had right-clicked on my mouse. When I press the End key it performs the function of the Delete key. I looked at the Keyboard Preferences and the layout is identical to what it was under the original keyboard. I guess the only option is keyboard remapping, but so far, the help that I have found on the forum is confusing, as I have found varying methods and options. If anyone is aware ot a similar situation, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this issue. The only solution I am using right now is to press the End key when I want to delete one or more characters. It works, but as I am typing I don't always remember that, and when I press the real delete key, I end up getting the right-click options window.
Thank you for any assistance.
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)
HP Omni 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD,
AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1GB, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New keyboard grief

Postby Epod on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Maybe you need to go to System Settings Keyboard click shortcuts and see if your delete key is bound to your right mouse.
+Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon 64Bit+|Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit| +GA-G41MT-S2PT w/ Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00Ghz 4GiB's DDR3 1066Mhz Ram 250+160Gb HDD's+ Apple PowerPC 7400 G4 400Mhz 2GiBs SDRam AGPx2 ATI Rage 128 Pro Graphics card 40+80Gb HDD's
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support