Mint's future relative to Canonical's *buntu?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DapperMe17

Mint's future relative to Canonical's *buntu?

Post by DapperMe17 »

Good afternoon,

With Canonical's recent push of Ubuntu/Unity and it's recent financial stress, I have a hypothetical question.

Should Canonical's business not survive, would the *buntu base go community-based, and would Mint continue to build on top of that? Or, would Mint move forward with a complete switch to LMDE based distros?

Just a basic question...as there are multiple versions of Canonical-based *buntus within the family. If the future spells Debian, then would like to prepare by maybe installing Mint LMDE based distros.

Thanks for any opinions!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Epod

Re: Mint's future relative to Canonical's *buntu?

Post by Epod »

I think Linux Mint has the power and community support to branch off into an Independent distribution I don't think Canonical is an anchor anymore for Mint especially with LMDE now but I think they couldn't even break off from Debian to be a completely independent distribution if they wanted too.
just my two cents.

Return to “Open Chat”