Constant system wide hangs/freezes in Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zlochko

Constant system wide hangs/freezes in Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit

Post by zlochko »

Hello to everyone.

I've installed Mint 13 several days ago, after which I started experiencing constant system hags. This has countinued even after I updated Cinnamon to version 1.6. In total I get at least 4 freezes per day. When this happens I cannot switch to terminal nor use the ctrl+alt+backspace combination. The freezing seem random in nature: while surfing, watching a video or developing...

My laptop is the following HP model (B6P79EA: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/aa/en/sm ... html?dnr=1) and it came with Windows 7 preinstalled. The only difference from the specification is that I bought it with the HDD removed and 128GB SSD put in it's place. I did not experienced any hangs when I was using it with the M$ OS.

I am no linux guru, but from reading posts with similar problems, I've seen that further information about the hangs may be found in the /var/log/syslog file. Unfortunately, nothing is generated at the point of system freeze. The file continues with boot-up info...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Gjoko.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Constant system wide hangs/freezes in Mint 13 Cinnamon 6

Post by homerscousin »

I experienced something very similar. We both run i5 3 serises. My system is a desktop. I use the onchip HD 4000 graphics. I experienced hard system freezes on another distro using Unity and Compiz. I switched to Mint 13 KDE. It runs perfectly. I don't know enough about Linux to know why the various desktops behave as they do or to correct some problems. KDE work on Ivy Bridge. Give it a try.

I looked at the hardware link you posted. Why don't these bozos specify the Intel graphics used? Is it 2000, 2500, 3000, or 4000. Is that so difficult? Is it going to hurt sales? Sorry. Off topic. I quit.
mephisto

Re: Constant system wide hangs/freezes in Mint 13 Cinnamon 6

Post by mephisto »

homerscousin wrote:I experienced something very similar. We both run i5 3 serises. My system is a desktop. I use the onchip HD 4000 graphics. I experienced hard system freezes on another distro using Unity and Compiz. I switched to Mint 13 KDE. It runs perfectly. I don't know enough about Linux to know why the various desktops behave as they do or to correct some problems. KDE work on Ivy Bridge. Give it a try.

I looked at the hardware link you posted. Why don't these bozos specify the Intel graphics used? Is it 2000, 2500, 3000, or 4000. Is that so difficult? Is it going to hurt sales? Sorry. Off topic. I quit.
From my own experience and from browsing these forums it does not seem related to Intel at all. I'm running an old AMD and use XFCE and had the same problem. From what I can see it is a kernel 3.2 issue, at least for some. After auto upgrading to that one it started for me on Mint and on Xubuntu (wubi install).
I fixed it upgrading the kernel. See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p633407

Return to “Other topics”