Problem with Transmission on 32bit LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Problem with Transmission on 32bit LMDE

Post by ddurdle »

I upgraded a Ubuntu 10.10 (Server Edition) to LMDE UP3 32bit earlier this year. As part of the upgrade, I moved all my Transmission settings over.

There seems to be a networking issue on this machine with LMDE that wasn't present with Ubuntu. I mostly run Transmission on this system, and ever since the upgrade, I'm getting bad results with bittorrents. The speeds jump up and then drop off, jump up, then drop off. This is true for both upload and download, but in particular for download. I have the port opened on the firewall, and I can validate the port is open to the outside.

I also notice that when I start up Transmission, I start getting web timeouts. If I navigate using the web browser, I start getting timeouts that come and go (keep hitting refresh until finally it goes through). I'm see similar inconsistency with Samba. My other systems accessing Samba shares on this machine begin getting "unavailable" errors.

The system has a gigabit ethernet and plugging into a gigabit ethernet switch. Nothing has changed on the ISP front. I can slide back in the hard drive with Ubuntu 10.10 and witness that there is no such issue, so this makes it unlikely a networking factor outside the machine.

So it looks like some of the default networking parameters in LMDE are not optimal for Transmission.

I also note that I've upgraded the system to update pack 4 a month ago and the problem persists. I don't bittorrent much so I've been living with this for 6+ months as-is.

Anyone have any suggestions or guidance how I can start comparing the network settings between the two machine? The Ubuntu is the Server Edition (as i have mentioned) and is command line only. I'm also running the LMDE install on this machine without a GUI. I'm using Transmission-daemon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problem with Transmission on 32bit LMDE

Post by ddurdle »

Yes, but I fear that if Transmission works on Ubuntu Server Edition but causes problems on LMDE, that the problem itself is not with the software but with the network stack configuration that comes with LMDE. I'll try another software, but I anticipate it'll kill the network stack on the machine as well.

If anyone knows where to begin starting to compare the network configuration, I'd compare the network settings between the two systems and optimize LMDE to handle bittorrents properly.

Return to “LMDE Archive”