Anyone testing Ubuntu 12.10?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Anyone testing Ubuntu 12.10?

Post by exploder »

I have been testing Ubuntu 12.10 because it will be the base for Mint 14 and I am interested in Unity's development. Recent updates to 12.04 were giving me numerous problems from graphics glitches, strange error messages and even a shutdown problem where the system told me it could not shut down because Compiz was still running.... I was able to fix the issues for the most part but I have been reading that 12.10 would have considerably better graphics support so I decided it was time to see for myself.

I installed 12.04 on a laptop with ATI discrete graphics and on a computer with on-board NVidea graphics, both systems run 100% better! I should mention that I used the September 29th daily build on the system with NVidea graphics because I had read that there were issues with NVidea before this build. At any rate all of the glitches with the user interface seem to be resolves as well as the random error messages I was seeing in 12.04. Hardware wise 12.10 seems to be better than 12.04, at least on both my machines.

As far as Unity goes, I like the new version better than the last, not that there was anything really wrong with the last version. I think removing the 2D option made things more stable and less troublesome. I know that some will not be happy with the 2D option being removed though. I did not like the Amazon and Music store icons in the launcher by default and they were the first things to go. I do not mind the shopping lens too much, you can filter results after all but it will be better when the off switch for it makes it into the repos. 12.10 seems stable but memory use is higher than it was in 12.04, this might change by the time the final release rolls around though. As I understand it, the remaining development time will be spent on bug fixing.

What is your experience with 12.10? Do you feel that the hardware support has improved since 12.04?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Adelante

Re: Anyone testing Ubuntu 12.10?

Post by Adelante »

I ran 12.10 for a few weeks since the first beta. Yes, it seemed improved to me, as did 12.04 to some extent. I've never been a real Ubuntu user, though I've tried it out several times, so I'm afraid I don't have much to say in detail. However, 12.10 is the first time I outright liked Unity. I found very little in the way of problems. I never did get MyUnity to work. I inevitably go back to LXDE or Xfce, but I'm open to trying other systems. I'm going to install the final when it comes out and use it at least for a while to see how it goes.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

exploder wrote:been reading that 12.04 would have considerably better graphics support
Assume you meant 12.10 there exploder! I have a 12.04 system running with an (older) ATI card but use xorg-edgers on it, so it will be interesting to see if there's any difference with 12.10?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks remoulder! I edited my post. :oops:
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Ubuntu Unity 12.04 and 12.10 both fail to boot with a usable graphics system in either live CD or virtual install on my machine but work with either LXDE or Xfce.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

cwsnyder, what graphics card are you using? Todays daily build fixes some issues people were having with NVidea graphics, at least that is what I read today.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

An nVidia GeForce 7025 compatible graphics on a Biostar N6853B motherboard, 8G RAM, AMD Athlon II x3 445 cpu.

BTW, I am posting this from a Linux Mint 13 KDE Live CD, on which the graphics system worked with the standard settings @ 1024x768 (my Etronix 1701B's EDID has only been read properly by Windows to give me 1280x1024).

I may have to try a Live CD of 12.10 when it reaches RC.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

cwsnyder wroie
I may have to try a Live CD of 12.10 when it reaches RC.
That might be a good idea. I grabbed a daily build from the 29th to avoid problems and it worked out alright for me.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I tried ubuntu 12.10beta2 , using standard procedure with unetbootin preparing bootable usb stick, but it won't boot, stuck with text that said something like initramfs...

However xubuntu 12.10beta2 works, this time I burn to DVD, unplug internal drive, then, installed onto USB stick.
Used it to test on 5 computers/laptops are running OK. wired LAN, wireless all works out of the box. This usb stick will become my portable Linux OS for demo to other people.
One pleasant surprise: it runs faster than those I prepared with gnome desktop!.

Return to “Chat about Linux”