X Window System error with ATI card

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caerolle

X Window System error with ATI card

Post by caerolle »

This is a problem I have been trying to solve for months now. A viewer I run for an online game consistently crashes in every single distro but Mint (YAY, Mint!) The viewer will sometimes somewhat run, then finally crash before I load the ATI driver. After I load the driver, I get the following sort of error:

The program 'do-not-directly-run-firestorm-bin' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 14 error_code 1 request_code 139 minor_code 66)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
*** Bad shutdown ($LL_RUN_ERR). ***

I have researched this to death and posted requesting help on this on several of the viewer developers' sites , and tried several different distros, to no avail. I am pretty much at my wit's end. :?

I have a Mint set-up I love, and it works fine with the viewer, and everything else, but it's driving me crazy that nothing else seems to work with it, and I can't figure out how to fix it. I am hoping someone here has some ideas.

There are a couple of questions, in my mind. First, the direct approach. Any ideas about what could cause this error, in general? The second is, what is it that is different with the Mint setup that makes it works straight off with the viewer? Ubuntu doesn't work, nor any of the other derivatives I've tried but Mint, yet I used the same 'Additional Drivers' in Mint that I used in the other 'buntus'. I have even considered springing for a Nvidia video card if that would make things work...

I appreciate any help anyone can give me!

Thanks so much!

caerolle :)

i5, Raedon 5700, 8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
main setup Mint13 Xfce
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: X Window System error with ATI card

Post by xenopeek »

Can you name the game and the viewer you use?

Return to “Chat about Linux”