Something continues running after shutdown post UP5

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
BostonPeng

Something continues running after shutdown post UP5

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm noticing something very odd since upgrading to UP5. I can shutdown as normal but even half a minute I see the black screen that I usually associate with my laptop being shutdown I notice that status icons for my wifi and power on lights are still on (my Bluetooth icon was also on until I disabled Bluetooth in my BIOS) and I continue to see a lot of hard disk activity. I'm also noticing that my battery isn't charging, and the low battery light constantly flashes. I'm running Schoelje's LMDE KDE respin, and this is what inxi -F returns:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host katia Kernel 3.2.0-3-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T9300 (-MCP-) cache 6144 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips 9974.48 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G86 [Quadro NVS 140M] X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1440x900@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer Quadro NVS 140M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 302.17 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver iwl4965 v: in-tree: BusID: 03:00.0
           Card-2 Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection driver e1000e v: 1.5.1-k at port 1840 BusID: 00:19.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (84.7% used) 1: /dev/sda HITACHI_HTS72201 160.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 8.8G used: 6.5G (78%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 8.8G used: 6.5G (78%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/home size: 137G used: 127G (98%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: 43.0C gpu: 0.0:65C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2991 
Info:      Processes 180 Uptime 14 min Memory 1183.0/3985.1MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
I ran inxf -F because I couldn't remember what flags are usually asked for and looking at the help screen looked like -F might show the majority of information being asked for.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
madwoollything

Re: Something continues running after shutdown post UP5

Post by madwoollything »

I too have noticed some very odd behaviour when trying to shutdown my desktop.

Its an LMDE Mate install upgraded from UP4 to UP5 with several logon users.

If I attempt to shutdown from within an account, then the machine just reboots.
The only way to shutdown the machine is to log out and then attempt to shutdown from the log in screen (even then the machine will reboot but just occasionally will eventually shutdown).

Anyone any ideas?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'd noticed recently that the (mis-)behavior had stopped, and it resumed when I turned Nepomuk back on, although the fact that madwoollything has it with LMDE MATE seems to indicate it's in LMDE itself rather than in Schoelje's LMDE respin. In a way that''s good news, but bad news on a wholly different level.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

What is weird is that I get the same behaviour even when running sudo halt.

I hope there is a solution as the only way to shutdown is to hard power off (not a long term solution).
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

madwoollything wrote:What is weird is that I get the same behaviour even when running sudo halt.

I hope there is a solution as the only way to shutdown is to hard power off (not a long term solution).
Can you pass 'acpi=off' to kernel and see if it happens again?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

naughty_bit wrote:
madwoollything wrote:What is weird is that I get the same behaviour even when running sudo halt.

I've made a note to add that flag the next time I fire up my laptop to see if it changes anything.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

naughty_bit wrote:

Sounds like a great idea ..... as I've found grub2 hard to understand, I tend to use GUIs such as startupmanager. Unfortunately there is no option in startupmanager to edit acpi=off. Is there a GUI tool I can use to do this as I don't want to break my system??

(I have used grub customizer in Ubuntu based distros but this doesn't work in LMDE :-()

Thanks
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

madwoollything wrote:
Sounds like a great idea ..... as I've found grub2 hard to understand, I tend to use GUIs such as startupmanager. Unfortunately there is no option in startupmanager to edit acpi=off. Is there a GUI tool I can use to do this as I don't want to break my system??

(I have used grub customizer in Ubuntu based distros but this doesn't work in LMDE :-()

Thanks
Restart your PC, press 'e' when grub2 shows up and you'll see parameters listed in 3rd or 4th line. write acpi=off inside existing single quotes, at the end. Press F10 to continue booting. Then try to shutdown your PC normally.
If it works, I'll post permanent 'fix'
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Superb!!
Have tried this a couple of times at it seems to work ...... great :-)

How do I make this change permanent?
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

madwoollything wrote:Superb!!
Have tried this a couple of times at it seems to work ...... great :-)

How do I make this change permanent?

Open terminal, write:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
then find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and write acpi=off inside the quotes. Ctrl+X to save, Y to confirm.
Then run

sudo update-grub

to make the change permanent.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Thanks ... unfortunately this doesn't appear to have worked.
I've checked the settings very carefully and now the system reports:

[info] Will now halt.
[ 51.229165] System halted.

However the machine just sits still running.

(I think the changes are correct as I've noticed that the suspend option is no longer available)

Any ideas as to what else I could try??
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

naughty_bit wrote:

I tried this last night and my laptop wouldn't boot at all. I may have put it in the wrong place but it definitely didn't resolve my problem. I am noticing the behavior goes away if I have Nepomuk disabled so I'm back to thinking it may be at least related to the KDE search tool.
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

madwoollything wrote:Thanks ... unfortunately this doesn't appear to have worked.
I've checked the settings very carefully and now the system reports:

[info] Will now halt.
[ 51.229165] System halted.

However the machine just sits still running.

(I think the changes are correct as I've noticed that the suspend option is no longer available)

Any ideas as to what else I could try??
So it worked when you passed it manually, but it doesn't now when you edited the grub file directly?
BTW, it would be preferable to put any parameters in the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, not GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX as I suggested before. it wouldn't make a difference anyway for your problem, just highlighting proper practice and my mistake.

You can try to pass 'noapic' also.

@ Boston Peng, sorry, his issue seems familiar to me so I replied him with a suggestion. Your issue seems to be different.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Not a problem, naughty. Hopefully someone sees the thread and has an idea how to resolve it.
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

BostonPeng wrote:Not a problem, naughty. Hopefully someone sees the thread and has an idea how to resolve it.
If you remove "quiet" from grub parameters, you will see verbose output also during shutdown. Maybe it will give some hints on what is going on.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'll give it a try but I get a completely blank screen quite a while before my status lights finally show a fully off system.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

naughty_bit wrote: So it worked when you passed it manually, but it doesn't now when you edited the grub file directly?
BTW, it would be preferable to put any parameters in the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, not GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX as I suggested before. it wouldn't make a difference anyway for your problem, just highlighting proper practice and my mistake.

You can try to pass 'noapic' also.
Brilliant .... :D ...... adding acpi=off and noapic has worked a treat (I also can now suspend and shutdown without any issues)

Many thanks!
faffmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faffmeister »

This looks like a really helpful thread for me too.

I found this problem on a Toshiba Satellite L505 laptop when I installed 64-bit Crunchbang (#!) Waldorf Testing a couple of weeks ago. In frustration with the problem I replaced it with 201204 MATE/Cinnamon 64-bit which is of course at UP4. All seemed fine until a little while after I installed UP5.

It did shut down OK for a few times but after I installed a few more bits and bobs (Openshot, PlayOnLinux, Wine, Unetbootin) I then found it would reboot itself and could only be shut down by pressing the power button just as it started to reboot.

Having installed UP5, Grub then offers me the choice of booting into 3.2.02 or 3.2.03 kernel. Booting into the 3.2.02 kernel, the machine shuts down properly.

Looking back at #! which is based on Debian Testing, it was running the 3.2.03 kernel ...

At the same time, I put the same version of #! onto a dual core Athlon desktop machine and that has no problem.

Anyhow, if this thread helps me fix it on the laptop with either LMDE or #!, I shall be very pleased!

I'll post back if it works for me.

For info, here's the thread on the problem over at #!:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... t-reboots/

Return to “LMDE Archive”