Trying to convert/install .pkg file, help please

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srhode14

Trying to convert/install .pkg file, help please

Post by srhode14 »

Hello all,

I have a .pkg file which I downloaded from the internet, which I am trying to install. The software source (Microsoft) (yeah, I know, boo and hiss) says that this type of file is compatible with Mac, but I am trying to convert it to .rpm so that I may install it in Linux Mint. I

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install alien
, which downloaded and installed the alien package converter, and everything went smooth until I tried

Code: Select all

sudo alien --to-rpm SDM.pkg
, which returns "Unknown type of package, SDM.pkg."

I have already tried downloading the Windows version and running it through Wine, which was unsuccessful as Wine couldn't install the program. SDM stands for Secure Download Manager, which Microsoft issues through E-Academy and the Dreamspark program. Overall, its a terrible piece of software to download anything, but a partnership between University and Microsoft enables me to get a lot of free software. If anyone could help me in this matter, or tell me what I'm doing wrong, it would be graciously appreciated. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Trying to convert/install .pkg file, help please

Post by kyphi »

It is a Mac file and will not run in Linux. There is no converter.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
srhode14

Post by srhode14 »

kyphi wrote:It is a Mac file and will not run in Linux. There is no converter.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Would you recommend that I try again to run the windows file through Wine? (I think its a .msi file)
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

To repeat the earlier reply, with more details. Mac OS X is BSD based, with a different kernel. You would have to get the source code, modify it for the Linux kernel, then recompile. Alien won't work for that translation. Alien is only for (possibly) conversion from a Linux .rpm (Red Hat Package Manager) style package to a .deb (Debian) style package manager, both of which are binary (pre-compiled), both of which are dependent on the same compiler, kernel source, & API which are different from the BSD compiler, kernel & API.

Your best bet, if you STILL insist on trying this 'free' software, would be to run a virtual machine instance of Windows and the Windows version of the software, since it won't run under WINE. This would require an actual, licensed copy of Windows to install as a virtual machine.

Or dual-boot Windows & Linux.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

To elaborate further: MSI = Microsoft installer is an engine for the installation, maintenance, and removal of software on windows systems
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
srhode14

Post by srhode14 »

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably download virtual box or just borrow a friend's computer for the software download. Since I'm new to these forums, should I change the title of this thread to <SOLVED>? Or how do I go about closing it down?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Since this thread cannot go further, it would be best to close it and mark it as "Solved".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
sayno2quat

Post by sayno2quat »

The main problem is that the Microsoft DreamSpark website thinks you are a mac user. Macs share a common kernel with Linux, and so it is giving you the mac download.

To get around this problem, you must first change your User Agent for your browser to emulate a Windows user. Then, when you download the SDM file, it will instead give you the SDM.msi windows installer.

Once I did this, I was able to install the download manager in linux via wine.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The first problem is specific to SDM control
http://www.imss.caltech.edu/content/sec ... ad-manager
  • Note: The SDM is only available for Windows and Mac platforms. Linux users will still be able to download software, without the use of the SDM. In order to download onto a Linux computer, your software order should ONLY contain Linux platform software. Any software orders that combine other non-Linux platforms will use the SDM by default.
Since sdm is in control for a windows or a MAC program package, you can't force it to use anything else..
--no doubt that is the cause of the lack of the Alien conversion option as well as wine failure

You didn't say whether or not you tried to run sdm (secure download manager) via wine: can you (sdm.exe file)
--in order to download your program..

Return to “Software & Applications”