i just realised that that command won't work in your system, has to be

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy libwbclient0
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is going on with my system ?

Post by scottjge »

Again you are right I have 2.3.6.6-3 installed and for some reason I am unable to UN-install it because I have unmet dependencies and broken packages. No matter what I try to do, I can not resolve the broken packages.

Code: Select all

glenn@laptop:~$ apt-cache policy libwbclient0
libwbclient0:
  Installed: 2:3.6.6-3
  Candidate: 2:3.6.6-3
  Version table:
 *** 2:3.6.6-3 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:3.6.6-2 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main amd64 Packages
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:shock: 2.3.6.6-3 is the version available in testing and sid see here
this means that the change of repos you were talking about in the beginning of this topic was made not long ago and you are ahead of the default repos (what is not a good thing)

i can see (tested with a dry-run here) that you can't remove it (it would remove far too important parts of the system) but can you downgrade it?
try synaptic > search for the package and select it > then in the menu > package > force version > and in the popup window choose the older version

be very careful with that, synaptic will warn you about the packages that it will remove (if any), if it doesn't look good don't do it
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Zerozero you are the greatest. Everything went flawless and I even learnt something.

I can not thank you enough for generous time. I am going to mark this thread as solved because as far as I can see things are the way that they are suppose to be.

Thank you so much,
scottjge
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

zerozero wrote:... debian has this useful snapshot of old archives at http://snapshot.debian.org/ ...
This is the best link! You're a goldmine of info, zerozero :D
zerozero

Re: What is going on with my system ? { SOLVED }

Post by zerozero »

scotthge wrote:as far as I can see things are the way that they are suppose to be.
glad you got it sorted :D
squeezy wrote:You're a goldmine of info
still learning my friend, still learning :P
sigshane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What is going on with my system ? { SOLVED }

Post by sigshane »

I had a similar problem when I (mistakenly) tried to install gnome 3 over cinnamon (duh now!).

Anyway, I couldn't remove gnome-core, cause it depended gnome, which required gdm, blah blah, kinda like your issue. I could not remove these because of dependencies.

So I ran sudo apt-get remove gnome gnome-core gdm -f, which worked beautifully. Removing all of them simultaneously eliminated the dependencies!

Shane
Shane

Return to “LMDE Archive”