Any Linux vitalization/deep freeze sofware

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Incentive I.C

Any Linux vitalization/deep freeze sofware

Post by Incentive I.C »

Hey all and how are you doing. (I am not talking about virtual box, Vmware etc) I was wondering if there is a application(s) that clone your system and deletes all your changes at restart.I am talking about the applications that let you do whatever you want in the Os and when you restart, boom all your changes are gone. I just liked that kind of freedom those application gave to windows so I could try out all kinds of application and not have to waste time uninstalling them. If you know any applications that can do that please tell me.

Search something like Retunil, deep freeze,Rollback Rx ,Shadow Defender( all have different little features but all of them do what i want them to do drop changes at restart/ shutdown) into Google and you will see what I mean.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Any Linux vitalization/deep freeze sofware

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:LinFreeze
Good day and thanks for the response and the recommendation Pilosopong Tasyo! I installed it(well put all the files were they needed to be.....) and opened it in terminal and it actual worked (is there an actually application interface?). Although it seems that when I freeze the system it only toke away my permission and administration rights. Can i still install programs in the frozen state by opening up as administration?

WARNING: THIS SCRIPT CAN EAT YOUR BABIES IF MISUSED! BE VERY CAREFUL OR IT MAY MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM! I TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED, AND THERE IS NO WARRANTY.
yes that is so true. I broke my Os 10 minutes after using it :lol: (man, Linux sure can be fun).....( I fixed it no worries think goodness for graphic failing to load after getting out of grub!) I guess it put filesystem in read only (Well i thought if I freeze that then I could install anything and it would be gone after shut down.... anyway to get directory to be read and write and drop changes at shut down....looks over readme file darn you "static" directory you put my filesystem folder as read only :evil:)

Moral: Also read the "Entire" Readme .(But hey at least i learned how to get Linux recovery mode(good to know Linux has a default hard drive space freer) out of read only and into read and write.)

Also i know this is kind of off topic but how do i make a text file read only? Also are there any more Any Linux vitalization/deep freeze software out there?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Incentive I.C wrote:...are there any more Any Linux vitalization/deep freeze software out there?
I think there are very few solutions (if none at all?) that does what commercial products like DeepFreeze, et. al. or the defunct Windows SteadyState were designed to do. There are, however, alternative options or methods that allows you to roll back a system to it's pristine state.

For example, I use Remastersys' Backup mode to create an updated snapshot of my workstation, and set the ISO aside when I have to do reinstalls or restorations on demand (or if I want to install my remaster to another machine). It's like reinstalling from scratch, but with the added benefit that your user account is retained and so does your installed applications, settings and files as well.

Another alternative is using tools like Gparted or Clonzilla to backup your partitions. They don't provide the kind of interface you expect from commercial software that were designed specifically for one purpose, though.

I think I read elsewhere that Btrfs gives you the ability to create a snapshot of your system that you can roll back to.
Incentive I.C wrote:...how do i make a text file read only?
Several ways:
(1) If you're a GUI person, open the file's properties sheet and you should be able to set the read/write/execute permissions from there.
(2) For a CLI solution you can use chown to change ownership of a file and/or chmod to change the file's permission bits.
(3) The chattr (change file attribute) command gives you the option to set a file immutable.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:For example, I use Remastersys' Backup mode to create an updated snapshot of my workstation, and set the ISO aside when I have to do reinstalls or restorations on demand (or if I want to install my remaster to another machine). It's like reinstalling from scratch, but with the added benefit that your user account is retained and so does your installed applications, settings and files as well.
Cool so basically it makes a little snapshot in the form of an ISO that i can put on my flash drive or hardrive and i can virtual mount it when ever i need to restore from it. Can i tell it what files to put on like for example i do not want to put on Virtual Box Guest Operating systems on it but i want to put the Virtual box application (just the application) on can i do that.
Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:Several ways:
(1) If you're a GUI person, open the file's properties sheet and you should be able to set the read/write/execute permissions from there.
(2) For a CLI solution you can use chown to change ownership of a file and/or chmod to change the file's permission bits.
(3) The chattr (change file attribute) command gives you the option to set a file immutable.
Thank you i shall try that in the future.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Incentive I.C wrote:Cool so basically it makes a little snapshot in the form of an ISO that i can put on my flash drive or hardrive and i can virtual mount it when ever i need to restore from it.
I'm not sure about restoring from a virtual mount, so I cannot answer this question. The main purpose of Remastersys is for you to be able to make a remaster of your current installation -- say, customize the stock installation with your additional apps, updates, etc. The ISO that it generates is bootable and can be used to reinstall or replace an existing installation, minimizing any post-installation things you have to otherwise do on a stock install.
Incentive I.C wrote:Can i tell it what files to put on like for example i do not want to put on Virtual Box Guest Operating systems on it but i want to put the Virtual box application (just the application) on can i do that.
Yes. The GUI gives you the option to exclude certain files/directories from being copied over to the ISO.

You'll find more information from the Remastersys website.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

How in the world do I install this application. Do i install it from the terminal, do i just run a certain command with the word Remasters somewhere in the command sentence while on the internet, do install it from the software manager does the application have a GUI? Sorry I am a bit confused :?
melbo

Post by melbo »

Kinda sounds like you'd like the snapshots feature of btrfs (filesystem). I have mine set to autosnap whenever I make any changes and then after I fully bork it by playing, I can go in and rename a valid snapshot to @ and reboot.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=100659
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

melbo wrote:Kinda sounds like you'd like the snapshots feature of btrfs (filesystem). I have mine set to autosnap whenever I make any changes and then after I fully bork it by playing, I can go in and rename a valid snapshot to @ and reboot.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=100659
Hello melbo!I have looked over that topic and I have to say btrfs sounds very interesting. How does the filesystem itself work? I have ext4 filesystem and I know one way it works is by giving application plenty of space to grow so all the files can stay together to stop fragmentation, does btrfs work like that,too?Is there any way I can put in the btrfs without a reinstall(via the terminal prehaps?) and is this filesystem stable. It seems it is new and i would probably rather use a filesystem that is aged and matured a bit but i could give btrfs a try.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Hello melbo if your still in the neighborhood i would just love a response please :)

Return to “Software & Applications”