internal webcam not working after kernel update

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Maya1000

internal webcam not working after kernel update

Post by Maya1000 »

Hi everyone,

I am new to Mint and I used Ubuntu 10.04 (I didn't like unity). On my new labtop (ASUS UX31A) I am now running Mint 13 Maya, kernel 3.6.0/030600rc4-generic x84_64, with gnome2 desktop.
After updating the kernel to 3.6 in order to get the function keys working the webcam is not recognised anymore (neither by Skype, Cheese, Guvciew).

The output of lsusb:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b330 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
I checked here http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ the camera does not seem to be supported by uvc. But when I installed Mint13 it was recognised. So I am puzzled.
Anyone an idea what's going on, how to solve the problem or where to get a driver for the webcam? I did check the forums:
in the ubuntu it says it should work out of the box! It does when booting ubuntu 12.04 from an USB stick. I also read in an older thread (2010) that after kernel update one needs to install the system76 drivers. But as I understood they are not exsising in Mint?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: internal webcam not working after kernel update

Post by remoulder »

If you choose to install unsupported kernels you should expect things to break,
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Maya1000

Post by Maya1000 »

remoulder wrote:If you choose to install unsupported kernels you should expect things to break,
Well I guess it was a question of being stuck between a rock and a hard place! Since I tried most of the suggested to get the function keys working, which didn't do the trick. Doing a kernel update was one of the suggested things and it actually fixed quite a few other issues as well! Apparently for the cost of the webcam...
Maya1000

Post by Maya1000 »

Kernel update to 3.6.0 rc7 solved the problem with the camera. Seems to be stable so far.

Return to “Hardware Support”