LMDE upgrade disaster!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kristhor

LMDE upgrade disaster!

Post by kristhor »

Hi im running LMDE and did a dist-upgrade last night. For the first time since I installed months ago there were lots of packages for update.... over 500 MB. Total disaster!!! First of all the update crashes somewhere in the late install phase, which seemed to get fixed after reboot and " sudo dpkg --configure -a". Problems with pulseaudio, xorg, nvidia etc. I have no sound and most of the resolution options in nvidia-settings is gone. I have white text on whiteish background in text documents and applications. Ive been installing, upgrading and using linux mint for years and have never run in to such an upgrade disaster. Im not asking for help on this.... just reporting, im not even going to try to fix this. Its going in the bin, fresh install now. Only question is is it going to be debian again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
qoudlibet

Re: LMDE upgrade disaster!

Post by qoudlibet »

I had almost the exact same thing happen. Dist-upgrade broke xorg, which gave me an error 11 segmentation fault notice. I tried to finish the update and reconfigure xorg from the console to no avail. After a fresh install, and a full dist-upgrade, I've got everything working -- but I'm having the same white-text on the light grey background problem for the Files and system applications. Anyone know what the problem is?

Here's my lscpi output:

Code: Select all

$ lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Complex [1022:1510]
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310] [1002:9802]
00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310] [1002:1314]
00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Port [1022:1512]
00:05.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Port [1022:1513]
00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1002:4391] (rev 40)
00:12.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
00:12.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
00:13.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
00:13.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller [1002:4385] (rev 42)
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
00:14.3 ISA bridge [0601]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller [1002:439d] (rev 40)
00:14.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge [1002:4384] (rev 40)
00:16.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
00:16.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
00:18.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 [1022:1700] (rev 43)
00:18.1 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1 [1022:1701]
00:18.2 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2 [1022:1702]
00:18.3 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3 [1022:1703]
00:18.4 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4 [1022:1704]
00:18.5 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6 [1022:1718]
00:18.6 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5 [1022:1716]
00:18.7 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7 [1022:1719]
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. RT5390 [802.11 b/g/n 1T1R G-band PCI Express Single Chip] [1814:539f]
melbo

Post by melbo »

What are your sources?

I had no issues other than having to reinstall nvidia when I updated, and I updated during the update pack testing phase.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

LMDE UP5 update should be about 1GB, not 500MB. Something is wrong.

Please remember that before update you should always make full system backup, so that you can rollback in case of failed update (and try again with different settings).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

qoudlibet wrote:Anyone know what the problem is?
see this >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=112789
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

I've had mixed results when using the GUI updater.

What has never failed me is this method:

1) triple check your sources.list
2) run (as root), apt-get update
3) run (as root), apt-get upgrade -d
4) run (as root), apt-get upgrade
5) [if any errors in #4], run (as root), apt-get upgrade -f
6) run (as root), apt-get dist-upgrade -d
7) run (as root), apt-get dist-upgrade
8) [if any errors in #4], run (as root), apt-get dist-upgrade -f
9) reboot and test!

Always resulted in successful upgrades. I've been down the "destroyed" system route when upgrading before.

But like always, I do a quick clonezilla of my /root partition. I consider that critical. Even if the upgrade goes smooth, you never know what show-stoppers you'll run into after the upgrade (such as a particular critical application you use is not compatible with some of the updates). You always want a rollback strategy.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

ddurdle wrote: But like always, I do a quick clonezilla of my /root partition. I consider that critical. Even if the upgrade goes smooth, you never know what show-stoppers you'll run into after the upgrade (such as a particular critical application you use is not compatible with some of the updates). You always want a rollback strategy.
+100

For example, I had to rollback UP5 and disable just kernel+fglrx+xorg update due to upstream debian bug. It took whole day using system since problem popped up.
GarryRicketson

Post by GarryRicketson »

I am not sure where to start, but this thread was the closest I found. Recently (yesterday), I made the mistake of allowing the updates to download and install. For more then 6 months,everything was working fine.Just goes to show, if it is not broken, don't fix it. Anyway, I thought it would be good to update, there were over 300 updates, they did download, and installed,..little did I know I was installing malware, now I can not boot, it completely re wrote my grub, and never asked me if I wanted to do that, I used to have in the boot menu, the option to boot with a portable hd, I had setup, it never would boot by it self,but if connected, it was there in the bootloader menu for grub, and would boot, but now it is no longer in the menu, so I am using the live CD, at this moment.
When I try to boot, I am getting a "panic, not a valid kernal, or something like that, I can give more specific details, but first I want to make sure I am posting in the right thread, or if someone can point me to the appropriate topic/tread,..maybe some one can walk me thru some kind of re-pair, ??? To get it back to booting. Once I do fix it, I know I will never let any updates download and install again, I am hoping I don't have to re-install, there is a lot of important files, and projects
I had been working on, some I do have backed up, but some of the more recent stuff no, also the time it took installing the programs I use,etc,..and back ups never re-install alot of that, I am really dissapointed, especially the fact that it re wrote grub, with out asking for any ok, if I had known it was going to do that, I would have made sure my portable hd was connected so that it would be included when grub got updated. Up until now I had been very happy with LinuxMint, I still am, happy with wat I had, it was the updates, that changed evrything. Is there anyway to remove them, and restore to the original system ?,...
any advice will be appreciated, thank you
from Garry
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Garry,
are you using LMDE?
otherwise i have to move your post to other location?
GarryRicketson

Post by GarryRicketson »

zerozero wrote:Garry,
are you using LMDE?
otherwise i have to move your post to other location?
At risk of really sounding stupid, ok well I think so, but am not sure how to tell for sure, and since I can not boot, thats harder, but ok,
here is wat it says, when I start grub boot loader, on the menu,..
Linux Mint 10,2-6.35-22-generic/dev/sda1
That is select to boot,..the only other bootable OS is FreeDos,on a different partition, also shown in the boot menu, and it still boots fine,
The live CD I am using is LXDE, but that is just what I am using to boot, now, I am pretty sure when I stalled Mint 10, it was LMDE, however I am a long ways from home (1000 miles),..the disk I used to install ,is at home, but I am 99% sure it was LMDE, the LXDE, is something I just recently down loaded ( actually a freind down loaded) to make me a boot CD,..hope this makes sense,..But anyway, if you feel you need to move the post, that is fine, I would like to be in the correct location, so I can maybe get some help with this, so if you do move it, PLEASE, let me know, where, ? sorry if this is a inconvienece, and I appreciate your taking the time,
thank you from Garry
Edit,..Zero Zero, I am glad you brought this up, though, OK, How can I tell for sure, which version I have LXDE or LMDE, ? Like I said, I am pretty sure it was LMDE,that I had originally installed, but it was so long ago, now I just looked, the Linux Mint 10,2-6.35-22-generic, is the same as what the live CD says,.. Now as I mentioned some how my boot menu got changed too,..but also I am thinking if the liive CD is LMDE, and my system is LXDE, that may explain why some things I was going to try to do, don't work, perhaps, ? what I need to do first is download a LXDE, iso, and make a live CD,..? or dose that matter ?
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Linux Mint 10,2-6.35-22-generic/dev/sda1
There's your answer...Mint 10. It's not LMDE and is likely a GNOME desktop.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GarryRicketson wrote:any advice will be appreciated, thank you
the topic you opened here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p635602 is surely the best place to deal with that
GarryRicketson

Post by GarryRicketson »

zerozero wrote:
GarryRicketson wrote:any advice will be appreciated, thank you
the topic you opened here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p635602 is surely the best place to deal with that
Yes, thank you, just now I see someone is trying to help me on this, and gave me some instructions,..Sorry, for the mixup here,
So if you want to remove these, or what ever, that is fine,..
thanks, though for at least responding,..a little off topic, but there is nothing more frustrating and dissapointing,when a moderator simplly deletes,a post, with no explanation,.. I am glad you took the time to respond,
thanks, from Garry

Return to “LMDE Archive”