a new plunge

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

a new plunge

Post by catch22 »

Hello Mint-world

I guess it'd be polite to introduce myself before starting asking the obvious newbie questions :)

I got into Linux a few years ago, but am no way near a geek nore guru; an advanced beginner at the most.
I had some trial and error (the latter the most) with FreeBSD/PCBSD, which I still want to get into at some point.
Shifted to Ubuntu for a short while, but got hooked on Crunchbang, which I still use on my older desktop and notebook.
Mint was installed yesterday, seeking for a stable OS for my relatively new machine, and first impressions are great :D

I went for the KDE-version, but am unsure which version it is (Maya or other?)

greetings from Belgium
Ludo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: a new plunge

Post by DrHu »

The desktops are defined/explained in the description of the version of Mint Linux you intend to install !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Linux
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

DrHu wrote:The desktops are defined/explained in the description of the version of Mint Linux you intend to install !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Linux
Upon reboot I saw which I have installed.
Release: Linux Mint 13 (maya)
Edition: KDE 64-bit
KDE will take some getting used to, I already found out :?
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

catch22,

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, and to Linux Mint!

Your comment at about KDE is too funny! Yes, KDE is pretty much the opposite of OpenBox. ;)

Have fun learning your new desktop environment!

caerolle :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Oh, and in case you didn't know, you can add any of the available desktop environments to your install, then select the one you want to use for your current session when you log in. I think they even have OpenBox and FluxBox if you wanted to use just a desktop manager instead of a desktop environment. Plus, I think there are several thread in the Forums on how to do that.

jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen: Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

caerolle wrote:Oh, and in case you didn't know, you can add any of the available desktop environments to your install, then select the one you want to use for your current session when you log in. I think they even have OpenBox and FluxBox if you wanted to use just a desktop manager instead of a desktop environment. Plus, I think there are several thread in the Forums on how to do that.

Good to know that, thanks!
Yes, it's a Kompletely Different Experience :wink:

and thanks for the welcome :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Ludo, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews). And as you mention you are new to KDE and trying to find your way around it, have a look at the KDE UserBase Wiki. Very helpful to get started with KDE.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application Quassel IRC. After a short setup, you will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

xenopeek wrote:Hi Ludo, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews). And as you mention you are new to KDE and trying to find your way around it, have a look at the KDE UserBase Wiki. Very helpful to get started with KDE.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application Quassel IRC. After a short setup, you will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
Dankjewel buurman Vincent :D (to all others, excuse the insiders lingo, but we're from neighbouring countries with the same language; sort of)
I already found the chat - I'm sure I'll need it at times.
I also checked bits of the Community tutorials; it was a bit confusing to find a Get started with Linux Mint that was dealing with Mate - I was wondering who/what/where... :)

First things I'll have to sort out will be Dropbox, which in Synaptic automatically comes in a Nautilus version that doesn't work. If I remember well in Crunchbang there was a workaround necessary for this as well.
And then there's Kopete, which seems to really make it hard for gmail users to connect if you don't use google talk (which I don't).

Too bad I have to go to work in the morning; tweaking will have to wait :roll:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you are considering switching to MATE, from MATE 1.4 you can install caja-dropbox which will give you DropBox integration in Caja (the file manager on MATE). See release announcement here: http://mate-desktop.org/2012/07/30/mate-1-4-released/

To install MATE 1.4 on Linux Mint 13 MATE, see these steps: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 15#p624015
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums
the search facility could be your best friend as most problems have already been asked about and if possible suitable fixes found

wizard
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

xenopeek wrote:If you are considering switching to MATE, from MATE 1.4 you can install caja-dropbox which will give you DropBox integration in Caja (the file manager on MATE). See release announcement here: http://mate-desktop.org/2012/07/30/mate-1-4-released/

To install MATE 1.4 on Linux Mint 13 MATE, see these steps: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 15#p624015
Thanks Vincent, but I think I'd better start with where I am (KDE) and get the feel of that before I make another move. It's challenging enough as it is for the moment :wink:
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

jesica wrote::mrgreen: Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums
thank you :)
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

The-Wizard wrote:Welcome to the Mint family forums
the search facility could be your best friend as most problems have already been asked about and if possible suitable fixes found

wizard
thanks for the welcome
I have searched already, but "Kopete gmail" doesn't give much of gmail without googletalk, which I don't have.
I'll have to start a quest thread in the KDE forum I guess 8)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”