Re: Missing dependencies in LMDE repos

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Inspired by the great snapshot.debian.org site zerozero mentioned in another post.

I frequently build installations from the ground up, starting with a basic command line install. Great for making fully functional minimal installations tailored exactly to my needs. Helps this old computer run nicely :)

To date I have never been able to build a true LMDE clone due to missing dependencies in the LMDE repos. E.g., you cannot install mint-artwork-debian because of missing defoma package, you cannot install mint-meta-codecs due to a couple of missing gstreamer packages, etc.

Why don't the Mint admins recover the latest versions of those missing depends from the site above and keep them in the packages.linuxmint.com Debian repo? It would certainly aid situations like mine (admittedly, few do this) and the problems people are reporting about installing the new meta packages listed in the UP5 upgrade notes. It's got to be an easier solution than recompiling the meta packages with revised dependencies, at least as a temporary measure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I am still not quite sure what Mint means by meta-packages; sometimes they are dummy transition packages sometimes they are meta, which are indicated as being removable after installation
--I assume the underlying files are installed

http://davehall.com.au/blog/dave/2009/1 ... a-packages
http://ianlawrence.info/random-stuff/se ... repository
--playing with package arrangments on your own might help to sort this type of file structure/packaging and distribution
  • Of course, not something a user will normally do
    --they simply use the update process available
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

heh you kinda beat to this :lol:
i was thinking if it was worthy to backport these missing pieces or make the extra effort and update the packages dep.
explaining >> the 2 situations we have now in our hands (defoma and pidgin-facebookchat) were considered deprecated by debian and their features covered by other packages (fontconfig and pidgin itself)

the cleaner solution is (imho) update the mint packages dependencies to reflect the new reality; this might take some time, but we can speed it up taking it up to Clem.

a different scenario would be if when to build a given UP a certain package was not found in testing (fglrx) then yes, this procedure would make all the sense.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

zz-

Yep, rebuilding the packages to remove the missing depends would be the best thing, but adding the missing packages could be done quickly and easily as a short term solution to help the upgraders. I installed defoma from the snapshot archive to enable me to install mint-artwork-debian and have noticed no issues having the deprecated package installed.

DrHu-

That's what I've been doing, installing the packages referenced in the meta package manually. It sure is nice to be able to just install the meta packages I want now though :) I know I'm in the vast minority, doing custom installs like I do, but I like to get as close to the true Mint configuration as possible. I've downloaded all the missing dependencies from snapshot.debian.org that I need and it seems to be working with no problems.

I'm posting this from my new LMDE/MATE installation :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”