Changing the width of windows

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LarryL1066

Changing the width of windows

Post by LarryL1066 »

I am badly vision impaired and have a problem using both hands (Ulnar Nerve Transposition). With the way Mint Linux is set up, it has become almost impossible for me to change the size of a window. (ie the edges are really hard to see/grab).

I tried searching for - changing window borders, adjusting window borders, and a few other items - compiz, gconf.... without any luck.

Could someone help me with instructions on how to do so?

Respects...

Larry

System:
Mint Linux 9 Main Edition, fully updated w/Gnome Desktop
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Changing the width of windows

Post by Flemur »

What are you using for a desktop? (MATE, cinnamon, etc)

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/.vhost/distrowat ... e=20120716
"Standing-on-the-edge asks: Do you know of a mainstream desktop environment and/or window manager that has noticeable borders (resizable even) that can help folks like me with fine-motor control hand issues?
DistroWatch answers: It could be that other desktop environments or window managers will do this for you, but the only one I know of for sure that will give you larger window borders is KDE. The KDE4 desktop will allow you to set window borders to be the size you want, ranging from virtually non-existent up to around an inch thick."

There's also the alt+left/right-click to move/resize windows - you might be able to set it up to work with two mouse buttons pressed. (I can do it under fluxbox but not Xfce...others?)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
LarryL1066

Post by LarryL1066 »

Thanks for the reply. I use the Gnome Desktop.

I will look at the KDE and see how it works. -- will post back here in a little while on results.

Again, thanks.

.... Any development team members out there, you might want to take note of this issue.
There are many people who would use Linux, but get very frustrated trying to do things
such as I have mentioned.

Respects All

Larry
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I'm not sure other desktops allow remembering window sizes or not, but KDE does. I have Conky running on the right side of my screen. When I open Firefox, for example, I want it to use all the screen space but not block Conky. So, I drag the Firefox window to the size I want, right click the title bar, more actions, special window settings, size and position tab. The size and position shown will be the current Firefox window. Put a check mark in the size and the position boxes and change the pull down menu to the right of that to 'remember'. Every time I open that window, it will open to those settings.

I don't know about changing borders, but this will at least allow you to have commonly used programs always open to the size and location you want.
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

LarryL1066 wrote: I tried searching for - changing window borders, adjusting window borders, and a few other items - compiz, gconf.... without any luck.

Could someone help me with instructions on how to do so?
Larry,

This might not be of any use to you all and in a similar vane to 'Flemur's' comment regarding the use of the arrow keys...

As an alternative to trying to catch the window edge to do resizing with the mouse. And if keyboard manupulation is less of an issue for you, have you tried, for un-maximized windows in focus, using key press:

'Alt+SpaceBar (opens context menu...) | Keypress: R (Resize) | then using the arrow keys, to resize the window (width and/or height) and when the window is resized the way you want it, press the [Enter] key to set the new window size?

I'm not sure about Gnome, but in my LM13 MATE you can also use the shorter version of this key press on un-maximized windows: Alt+F8 | then use arrow keys to resize | once resized press: [Enter] key.

Unfortunately in many instances the resized windows will not be remembered between logout and login.

Return to “Other topics”