Monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
corcaigher

Monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes [SOLVED]

Post by corcaigher »

I'm using Maya kde amd64. My power management settings for the monitor are off, so this doesn't make sense. What else could be putting the monitor in sleep mode?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

It is xorg.conf that does that.
Add the text below in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "BlankTime" "0"
    Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option         "OffTime" "0"
    Option         "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
corcaigher

Re: Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes [Solved]

Post by corcaigher »

Thanks, that seems to have cleared this problem.
corcaigher

Re: Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes

Post by corcaigher »

That didn't last long...it is back; the monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes and the changes to the xorg.conf file are still there.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection
homerscousin

Re: Monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes

Post by homerscousin »

I posted something in I think 'open chat' is VLC whacky or what? Find that, maybe it helps. My monitor would stay on fine, according to my settings, for a few hours or a few days. Then all of a sudden it would turn off after 10 minutes. Every 10 minutes. Didn't matter if I was just at a desktop, on internet, playing video etc. Every suggestion I found across the entire world of the internet didn't cure it. I started paying attention to what I was doing just before it started and narrowed down the offender to VLC. Read that post, there are more details.
corcaigher

Post by corcaigher »

This doesn't happen when using VLC; actually there are no problems when using VLC. The happens especially when watching content on the web, like Hulu and Crackle.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Take a look HERE to see if this might help. :wink:
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
corcaigher

Post by corcaigher »

I believe that this problem has resolved itself after I disabled power management and removed and then re-installed the power management software packages. Does anyone know why this is happening in the first place? This had not been a problem until I installed Maya.

Return to “Software & Applications”