Brightness laptopscreen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohanW54
Level 1
Level 1

Brightness laptopscreen

Post by JohanW54 »

Since a few days a have installed LM13 Cinnamon on my laptop ACER ASPIRE 5749. It works out of the box.
This evening I found out that the brightness of the screen is not adjustable.
In LM12 I used the Fn-key and the Left- and Right key to adjust the brightness.

Anyone an idee.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pedrinho

Re: Brightness laptopscreen

Post by Pedrinho »

Did you recevie my e-mail?
Yesterday (may 30) I sent you an e-mail with a possible solution for your request. I didn't post a reply because of a restriction of my office's lan policy rules.
Anyway, here are the steps that you could try to fix this issue:

1 - Open terminal (as a superuser) and type: gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
2 - In the text file that opens, find the line which says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and, inbetween the "", insert the words "acpi_backlight=vendor" (the line will be as follows: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"), save and close the file.
3 - Back again in the terminal session, type: sudo update-grub
4 - Reboot.
Hope this can solve your problem.
Pedrinho

Post by Pedrinho »

It looks like people aren't used to answer their own threads... Anyway, let me know if my suggestion worked for you.
kbrooks78

Post by kbrooks78 »

Don't know if it worked for him, but it did work for me with Mint 13 Cinnamon and a Gateway nv55c. Thanks!
Pedrinho

Post by Pedrinho »

kbrooks78 wrote:Don't know if it worked for him, but it did work for me with Mint 13 Cinnamon and a Gateway nv55c. Thanks!
Hahahaha!
I am 42 years old, and used internet since 1996, and used to log on several forums to get help since then. I began with questions concerning Dos commands, going after for Windows 3.1 and 9x versions, general hardware issues, games, Photoshop, and recently about Symbian, Linux, Android, and many other things. But after 16 years, this is the very first time I help somebody on a forum (at least, it's the first time I remember someone thanks me for that)...
I think this historical moment deserves a drink!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
jCyCle

Post by jCyCle »

Here's my first post as a Linux user. Forgive my noob-ness, and I hope that it makes you smile:

I just installed Linux Mint 13 on an ASUS G73SW laptop with an Nvidia GeForce 460M GPU. Oh, in case it figures in here, I'm also using the Cinnamon 1.4 desktop. As soon as the first boot was done, I got a prompt to add the Nvidia non-proprietary ( I think ) drivers and did so.

After re-boot, all of my function keys ( backlight brightness, sleep, screen brightness, etc ) caused the icon to appear on screen, but in the case of the brightness fn keys, no luck actually changing screen brightness.

I found the system settings, and the slider for screen brightness there also failed to work.

After much searching for a clue, this is what I came up with: no guarantees on your machine, but it worked here.

In command line, type in:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You will have to enter your root password.

Now, you should see:

Section "Device"
    Identifier            "Device0"
    Driver                "nvidia"
    VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection
Under the VendorName Line, add the following:

Option    "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
Now, save and reboot. Check your brightness controls, and hopefully this fixed things.

NOTE:
If your

xorg.conf
file doesn't have a device section ( or much else ), you'll need that. This may not help, but I used xconfig in the command line to configure the file....I'm sorry, I'm a noob as I mentioned, and can't remember the arguments that I passed xconfig. You may be able to find out in this forum, though. Good luck!
Korarchaeota

Post by Korarchaeota »

I was unable to control my brightness with a HP Pavilion dv7 and Pedrinho's method worked for me!
strutoutofstride

Post by strutoutofstride »

I too second Pedrinho's solution (mostly), however, in order for me to reach the text file containing

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

line so as not to get "The program 'gksudo' is currently not installed..." warning in terminal, I had to use

sudo kate /etc/default/grub

instead of

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Granted I am running on Mint 13 KDE, aspire one 756-2808. Thanks for your help and I hope this helps others.
jaakobus

Post by jaakobus »

pedrinho: works on fujitsu siemens esprimo mobile. tnx! :)
dsz

Post by dsz »

Pedrinho: many thanks!!!! You're comments made me smile and want to help address the 'thanks defect' it sounds like you currently have :D

Worked on a Acer laptop running Debian Mint

Derek
psg

Post by psg »

I have an ASUS X55VD and had also some function keys (Fn) not working.
Tried the solution indicated by Pedrinho and the result was now I have all of them working except the brightness control.

I'm still searching for a solution for that function keys. Anyone...
nobeernotv

Post by nobeernotv »

Hello All,

I just got up and running this morning with MInt 13 Maya.

Having a similar problem where my monitor seems to be set to max brightness, and my function keys don't seem to have any effect on changing it (thugh F7, which turns the screen off, does work).

I tried Pedrinho's method but did not see any text pop up after I entered the command.

I tried Jaycle's method too, and strutoutofstride's, but got a "command not found" message for both.

Any advice would be much appreciated-- this is way too bright and is giving me eyestrain!

Steve

my computer’s:
Asus U47VC x64
Intel i5-3210M CPU @2.5GhZ
ssbean

Post by ssbean »

Just updated to Mint 14 with Cinnamon on an HP Pavilion dv7. The original solution worked perfectly. Thanks!
DS_ED

Post by DS_ED »

Pedrinho wrote:Did you recevie my e-mail?
Yesterday (may 30) I sent you an e-mail with a possible solution for your request. I didn't post a reply because of a restriction of my office's lan policy rules.

2 - In the text file that opens, find the line which says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and, inbetween the "", insert the words "acpi_backlight=vendor" (the line will be as follows: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"), save and close the file.
4 - Reboot.
Thanks a lot pedrinho. This helped out on Linux Mint Nadia Cinnamon 64 Bit too.
hog678

Post by hog678 »

4 - Reboot.
This worked perfectly for me on my Acer Aspire 5740 and Linux Mint 14, thanks very much!
Eljee

Post by Eljee »

@Pedrinho, I've tried the solution you wrote down here on my linux mint 15 (64-bit) installed on my Asus X301A. It did something; the brightness is higher than it was. I have however, no control over the brightness from this point on. I changed the file back, and the brightness is still higher. Now, I can't turn it down... Oops. Seemed it did help a lot of others though! And could you maybe elaborate on why this would solve problems like this? I'd like to learn :) (and many with me I suspect)
Does anyone have any idea's left?
luisfdo

Post by luisfdo »

Pedrinho you're the man! thanks for the tip (worked for me as well)
Eljee

Post by Eljee »

Hey all,

As I posted before, the fix did not work for my ASUS X301A. However, I did come across a method that worked :D
I heard I could update the kernel without using the mint updates. These updates are from the Ubuntu distro (link below). That way, I would get a newer kernel than I had before and then, more functions might work. What you have to do then is:

1. Download the .deb packages form http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.11.2-saucy/ N.B. you need the packages that apply to your build. I.e. AMD vs. i386
2. Place the downloaded files in a folder and run form the terminal (in that folder): sudo dpkg -i *.deb.

What this does, as far as I know, is use what apt-get and aptitude use to install packages to update you kernel. You need this command however, to ensure that all files are handled at the same time. Otherwise some dependencies might fail.

Also note that I do not know what issues could arise form this fix. So far, I have had no other bug come up. If I do find them, I'll post them here. If some other users know what could go wrong or have more information, I would gladly hear it. I'm here, also, to learn.
dreachem

Post by dreachem »

4 - Reboot.
This sort of worked for me.

I have a thinkpad t530 latop, running Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon ( 1.8 ). Also, if its relevant, I currently have my Nvidia GPU disabled in BIOS, so I'm only using Intel graphics.

Out of the box, I could adjust the brightness using my keyboard, but only within a limited range from where the brightness level was set in screensaver and lock (S&L) settings. So, if S&L had the brightness all the way up (which it did, by default), then I could only reduce the brightness from my keyboard by a small amount. If I set the brightness level to somewhere in the middle using the S&L settings, then I could adjust it up and down to some extent using the keyboard, but again it was limited.

So, I tried your solution. Now, I'm able to fully control the brightness from my keyboard. The problem is that (a) S&L brightness settings don't work any longer, (b) the on screen brightness indicator that pops up as I'm changing the brightness from my keyboard doesn't show the brightness is increasing, even though it is.

What I would like is being able to control brightness from both my keyboard, or the S&L settings within Cinnamon. And the correct brightness level should be reflected in the on-screen indicator. This worked perfectly fine for me in Linux Mint 14, so I'm not sure what the deal is here.
viktormas

Post by viktormas »

Pedrinho wrote:
4 - Reboot.
Thanks a lot Pedrihno.
Worked for my Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile V6555 laptop, running on Linux Mint 13, XFCE

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”