No sound, LMDE update 5 in VirtualBox

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
swordfish
Level 1
Level 1

No sound, LMDE update 5 in VirtualBox

Post by swordfish »

I run LMDE in Virtualbox. Sound worked well until I installed update pack 5, but now I have no sound. I have looked at the pulseaudio settings and there is nothing obviously wrong. The pulseaudio volume monitor shows that music is playing, but there is nothing coming out on the speakers. As the problem started with the update to Mint, I assume that something changed in Mint is the problem, but I don't know what to look for.

I had the following message in /var/log/messages before and after the update, so I assume it is not suspicious

Code: Select all

Sep 24 10:50:33 virtual-mint pulseaudio[2891]: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because running inside a VM.
There are also some messages about measured clock being rejected, but that was the same before the update as well.

Any thoughts on how to debug this would be welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
swordfish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No sound, LMDE update 5 in VirtualBox

Post by swordfish »

$ inxi -SAxc 0
System:    Host virtual-mint Kernel 3.2.0-3-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Audio:     Card Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller driver snd_intel8x0 at ports d100 d200 BusID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
kdceddj

Post by kdceddj »

same issue here

$inxi -SAxc 0
System:    Host edsvbox Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Audio:     Card Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller driver snd_intel8x0 at ports d100 d200 BusID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
kdceddj

Post by kdceddj »

ok, got the audio working on my mint virtual machine on virtualbox.
Menu -> Preferences -> Volume Control
Change the device in the dropdown to SigmaTel... (OSS Mixer)
Change the Master volume in the Playback tab (the default was 0)
fusion71

Post by fusion71 »

I had the same problem after update 5 in virtualbox.

To solve the issue, I installed Pulseaudio volume control (pavucontrol) with the Software Manager. After installation, open PulseAudio Volume Control. Click on the Output Devices tab and change the port from "Analog Mono Output/Amplifier" to "LFE on Separate Mono Output/Amplifier".

Hope this helps someone :)
swordfish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swordfish »

fusion71 wrote:I had the same problem after update 5 in virtualbox.

To solve the issue, I installed Pulseaudio volume control (pavucontrol) with the Software Manager. After installation, open PulseAudio Volume Control. Click on the Output Devices tab and change the port from "Analog Mono Output/Amplifier" to "LFE on Separate Mono Output/Amplifier".

That works for me.

Thanks very much.
number61971

Post by number61971 »

fusion71 wrote:I had the same problem after update 5 in virtualbox.

This worked for me, too. I don't know how you knew this is what would fix it, but THANK YOU!
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Finally, a solution! Worked for me too. Thank you!

Return to “LMDE Archive”