Update Pack 5 and Grub

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mark1mint

Update Pack 5 and Grub

Post by mark1mint »

I see that the release notes for Update Pack 5 list this note about Grub
When asked where to set up Grub, make sure to choose your current grub location
now,since I have a multi-boot set up with two disks,at the time of the install I choose not to install Grub (if I recall exactly what I did ;) ) and let the other disk control the boot process:what am I supposed to do now? Is the option to not install Grub also present in the Update Pack 5 dialog ? I wouldn't want to install it incorrectly and end up with a non-bootable system,of course.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sobrus

Re: Update Pack 5 and Grub

Post by sobrus »

Yes, you can ommit installing GRUB by not selecting any disk or clicking "cancel" (I don't remember exactly).
But you don't have to install it for sure (It even warns you if you try to skip it).
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Thanks :wink: I've just updated and the question as to where install Grub didn't even pop up (as far as I can tell),it did spit out an error message probably when it didn't find the Grub install where it expected to be (as I've said,this being a two-disks,multi-boot set up the Grub install that controls everything is on the other disk),in the end everything apparently is OK,I can still boot in every system that I have installed,nothing is broken :D
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Strange - I have 3 disks and 2 OSes and GRUB was installed.
It even detected Windows on second disk (although I didn't want it to do so - I can boot windows from bios boot menu anyway).
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Yes you're right,it did actually detect all installed systems on both disks,and (as far as I can tell) apparently also generated a new grub.cfg file,but never asked where to install Grub,which was all good to me.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

One thing that I've just observed:before the update,MintDebian was listed on my Grub menu as
Linux Mint Debian Edition (1)
whereas now I have these two entries (actually four,when considering recovery mode also):
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64:
-is this the way the Grub menu is supposed to look after the update ?
Mr.Hr1e

Post by Mr.Hr1e »

I have the same problem. I was just looking for some answers and found your post. First of all why 2 of them and second, I dont even need those for recovery. I like it simple and clean.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

mark1mint wrote:One thing that I've just observed:before the update,MintDebian was listed on my Grub menu as
Linux Mint Debian Edition (1)
whereas now I have these two entries (actually four,when considering recovery mode also):
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64:
-is this the way the Grub menu is supposed to look after the update ?
Not sure about the name change, but you have both these entries becasue they are different kernel versions. Note the 3.2.0-3 and 3.2.0-2 variation.

Mr.Hr1e wrote:I have the same problem. I was just looking for some answers and found your post. First of all why 2 of them and second, I dont even need those for recovery. I like it simple and clean.
To remove the recovery options, edit /etc/default/grub and remove the comment marker from this line, like so:

Code: Select all

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
If you don't want grub to detect other OSes installed, like Windows, remove the package called os-prober.

Return to “LMDE Archive”