[Solved] Installing Dropbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Installing Dropbox

Post by catch22 »

allanh wrote:Hello,

In Mint 13, Dropbox can be installed from the Software Center.

Regards,

Allan :)
I'm new to Mint and don't understand what's going on here:
In synaptic I choose dropbox to install but that wants to automatically add nautilus-dropbox.
I don't have nautilus though, since I use KDE, so how do I install properly? I really need my dropbox-contents :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Installing Dropbox

Post by kc1di »

hi catch22,

You can install nautilus-dropbox it will work fine in KDE. it will pull the dependencies it needs.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[split onto its own topic because the issue is different]
if you want dropbox in kde (without nautilus) see this http://www.nixternal.com/kde-and-dropbox/
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

zerozero wrote:[split onto its own topic because the issue is different]
if you want dropbox in kde (without nautilus) see this http://www.nixternal.com/kde-and-dropbox/
Thank you! I'll try this tomorrow night.
Being new on the forum, I wish I had noticed the "Notify me when a reply is posted"-ticker earlier :wink:

EDIT: noticed the quick CLI-way on the bottom of that post, so did that.
Only problem is that when I want to open my dropboxfolder clicking the panel icon I end up in VLC :?
Really, not kidding!
I do see it's downloading a few thousand files, so it's working alright, just putting everything in the wrong laocation.
It's funny, but I'll be happy when I sort it out just the same.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

catch22 wrote:... noticed the quick CLI-way on the bottom of that post, so did that...
So finally all files have arrived, but the next day the dropbox-icon is gone from the panel. When I look in kick-off application launcher and do search for dropbox it only finds my main folder, no icon I can activate or place in the panel.
How can I get this back into action?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry i missed the [edit] in the other post; i hope that the vlc issue is solved by now and regarding having dropbox running at start-up afaik i followed the steps from here down
Configure Dropbox to run at start-up

You will definitely want Dropbox to start every time you log into your computer. To do this is really easy. Open System Settings by going to the KDE menu once again. Most distributions stick the System Settings icon in your Favorites tab, so when you click the menu button, you should see it right away. Click it if you do. If you do not see it, don’t worry. You will need to go to the Applications tab, scroll down to the Settings section, and in there you should see System Settings. Click it to open it. Once it is open at the bottom, in the System Administration section, there should be an icon labeled, Startup and Shutdown. Click it. Once that is open, in the right pane you should see 5 buttons. You want to select the button labeled Add Script…. This will pop up a small dialog for you to select the Dropbox script we want to run at startup.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

zerozero wrote:sorry i missed the [edit] in the other post; i hope that the vlc issue is solved by now and regarding having dropbox running at start-up afaik i followed the steps from here down
Configure Dropbox to run at start-up

You will definitely want Dropbox to start every time you log into your computer. To do this is really easy. Open System Settings by going to the KDE menu once again. Most distributions stick the System Settings icon in your Favorites tab, so when you click the menu button, you should see it right away. Click it if you do. If you do not see it, don’t worry. You will need to go to the Applications tab, scroll down to the Settings section, and in there you should see System Settings. Click it to open it. Once it is open at the bottom, in the System Administration section, there should be an icon labeled, Startup and Shutdown. Click it. Once that is open, in the right pane you should see 5 buttons. You want to select the button labeled Add Script…. This will pop up a small dialog for you to select the Dropbox script we want to run at startup.
In Startup and shutdown there's only 3 buttons instead of 5. I see Autostart, Service Manager and Session Management.
In Autostart I do see options Add Program and also Add Script.
I already downloaded the DropboxServiceMenu-0.16.1, and in there there's a folder called dropbox-scripts, but I have no idea which file to pick from there (if any?).
3 of them have the .py-extension, and 3 the .sh-extension.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you should have a home/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd <<mind the dot in dropbox-dist (it's a hidden folder>>
- it's that dropboxd that you have to add through autostart > add script >> shell script window >> open file dialogue >> in the new window you have to enable view hidden files
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

zerozero wrote:you should have a home/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd <<mind the dot in dropbox-dist (it's a hidden folder>>
- it's that dropboxd that you have to add through autostart > add script >> shell script window >> open file dialogue >> in the new window you have to enable view hidden files
It didn't seem to do the trick... till I restarted the computer. The icon is back in the panel :) Thank you zerozero!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

glad you got it sorted :D
now if you could edit your first post and add [solved] to the subject that would kOOl :lol:
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

zerozero wrote:glad you got it sorted :D
now if you could edit your first post and add [solved] to the subject that would kOOl :lol:
I'll try and remember to make that a habit 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”