[Solved] Thunderbird on Mint 13 KDE (Message Indicator)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thunder422

[Solved] Thunderbird on Mint 13 KDE (Message Indicator)

Post by thunder422 »

I was disappointed that Thunderbird does not appear to be part of the Mint 13 KDE distribution and wasn't installed by default like previous Mint KDEs. It wasn't even available in the Synaptic Package Manager. I got it installed after adding http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla ... pa/ubuntu/ (both deb and deb-src) to the Software Repositories. Anyway, no problem installing 15.0.1 and using it - it works fine.

However, the issue is that I can't get it to communicate with the Message Indicator system tray icon (it says "No applications running"). I had this same problem on Mint 10 KDE, which I never was able to solve. But with Mint 12 KDE, it just worked from the get-go. I'm assuming the Mint Team did something to get it to work on Mint 12 KDE. I have yet to find the magic package or Thunderbird add-on that I need to make it work with Mint 13 KDE. I tried installing the thunderbird-globalmenu and thunderbird-gnome-support packages, but these didn't make it work. I see the mail-notification package, but that brings a whole bunch of stuff with it (like gnome stuff), so I didn't install this package (and it doesn't appear to be installed on my Mint 12 KDE).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunder422

Re: Thunderbird on Mint 13 KDE (Message Indicator)

Post by thunder422 »

I figured out the issue - the "Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher integration" add-on in Thunderbird was disabled. Once enabled it worked.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] Thunderbird on Mint 13 KDE (Message Indicator)

Post by jazz.h »

I tried this, addon was disabled, I enabled it, but nothing happens. What else should I do to get email notifications in systray upon message arrival (without Thunderbird open)?
thunder422

Re: [Solved] Thunderbird on Mint 13 KDE (Message Indicator)

Post by thunder422 »

All I know is that once the addon is enabled, Message Indicator is now aware of Thunderbird. However, it appears to rarely indicates when a new message has been received. Every now and then the Indicator will be on, but most of the time it is not working. On Mint 12 it was rock solid. I've given up having a reliable message indicator. (I'm in the process of re-installing on an SSD, so it will be interesting to see if it is any more reliable with a different install).

As for getting an indication when Thunderbird is not running. It is Thunderbird that tells Message Indicator when there is a message (or not), so if it is not running, there is no way to get an indication. You need to have some program (if not Thunderbird, some other program), to go out and check your email box. Message Indicator is not that program, it only receives indications from other programs (like from Thunderbird via the addon).

Return to “Software & Applications”