Prevent mint from sleeping

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tharbad

Prevent mint from sleeping

Post by Tharbad »

Hello,

Mint version: 13 x32

I want to prevent my system from going into sleep or suspend mode when it's idle. I don't see any possible setting like that in the power manager (I can only chose between suspend and sleep).

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: Prevent mint from sleeping

Post by stratus_ss »

Which desktop are you using?

Mate? Cinnamon? Gnome? KDE? XFCE?

Are you sure the computer is suspended and not just turning off the monitor?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Might try changing you screen-saver settings also. Last resort, make a .sh file and run it when you don't want your screen to sleep.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
xset -dpms;xset s off
Tharbad

Post by Tharbad »

Screen saver is off.

Desktop is Xfce
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Tharbad wrote:Screen saver is off.

Desktop is Xfce
Have you move your "Put the computer to sleep when inactive for:" slider over to "Never"Image
Tharbad

Post by Tharbad »

Yes.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

So I actually have had to remove the xscreensaver before on some computers to prevent it from turning off the monitor even though there the options were set properly in the screensaver.

Have you tried wyrdoak's suggestion? I have tested this myself by ssh'ing into the computer in question and running this (had to fiddle with the screen settings but the same idea)
Tharbad

Post by Tharbad »

The option wyrdoak is talking about is already set to never.

I'm not talking about monitor going to sleep but about the OS going to sleep (it's a home server).
Most of the time the screen is off anyway.

Just to make it clear - 2 days ago the system was shutdown when I woke up in the morning. Since then it still up.
As this is a new installation I assumed it wasn't a crash. The hardware is OK (This computer was running Mint 11 KDE which is now out of support). There was no power outage at that time. So I'm assuming the system went to sleep.

Return to “Xfce”