(How) Can I install KDE 4.9.2 on Mint 12 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ctulhu

(How) Can I install KDE 4.9.2 on Mint 12 KDE?

Post by Ctulhu »

I am running Mint 12 KDE (on a Dell XPS 8300), which still uses KDE 4.7.4. Is there a simple way to upgrade to KDE 4.9.2? I can NOT install Mint 13 KDE because MINT 13's installer can't handle my RAID setup (which really stinks, because Mint 12 can do it fine. but that's beside the point now ;-))
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunder422

Re: (How) Can I install KDE 4.9.2 on Mint 12 KDE?

Post by thunder422 »

The easiest you can get to on Mint 12 KDE when you add the kubuntu backports repository is KDE 4.8.2. I did this when I first installed Mint 12 KDE early this year. I didn't really use 4.7.4 that came with Mint 12 KDE, but 4.8.2 was plenty stable for me. The only thing that really bothered my was that they took away the inline renaming in Dolphin that was previously there in KDE 4.6.2 on Mint 10 KDE. I don't know if is was in 4.7.4. I have since upgraded to Mint 13 KDE (this past weekend), but still using KDE 4.8.5 for now (I will go to 4.9.2 at some point since inline renaming is suppose to be back in Dolphin).
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

Hm, I do have this

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu oneiric main

in my sources.list bercause I thought that would do it, but even after

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I still only have the 4.7.4 - is this not the right one?
wlake

Post by wlake »

I think only the precise backports repo has the 4.9.2 packages. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. Since you're running oneiric, if you change the repository to precise and try the dist-upgrade, I don't know what would happen.
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

Ctulhu wrote:Hm, I do have this

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu oneiric main

in my sources.list because I thought that would do it, but even after

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I still only have the 4.7.4 - is this not the right one?
Hmm, those are the sources I have on my Mint12 install, but not in sources.list file, they are located in sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-backports-oneiric.list file. I originally entered them in the Synaptic Package Manager (Software Repositories), not directly into the etc/apt files. I don't know if there is a difference where they get entered. I do have KDE 4.8.2 installed (and they were never updated past 4.8.2 - I think once Kubuntu 12.04 came up, they stopped updating the backports-oneiric).
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

I did try the precise backports but that was risky: half of the stuff would be updated, rest would be kept back etc. so I didn't dare go through with it. But ye, they probably stopped after 12.04. Shame: since Mint doesn't bother doesn't with alternate installers, I am stuck ... Thx anyway, guys.
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

> Hmm, those are the sources I have on my Mint12 install, but not in sources.list file, they are located in sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-backports-oneiric.list file.
Yes, I put them all into sources.list so I can back this up more easily. Makes no difference for updating in general
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

I would suggest at least trying to add the backports from the Synaptic Package Manager, as maybe it sets some additional configuration somewhere that is missed when entering directly in the text files. On the other hand, if you're stuck at 4.7.4, I think 4.7.4 is probably plenty stable. I used 4.6.2 for close to a year with Mint 10 and was satisfied with it.
Lnx_User1

Post by Lnx_User1 »

I tried to get 4.9 but I ran into this:
E: Invalid operation dist-upgrade

Anyone know why that be?

Also what's the code to get 4.9.2, the correct backport?

Cheers
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Lnx_User1 wrote:I tried to get 4.9 but I ran into this:
E: Invalid operation dist-upgrade
well, we sure need to know a bit more to answer that :) in what context you issued dist-upgrade in the terminal?
Lnx_User1

Post by Lnx_User1 »

Three lines I was suppose enter in Terminal to get the update, got it from another site. I believe first was to get access to the repository that had the update, then I believe "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade." The last line didn't take, odd because I believe I used the command before without issue.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
or if you are using mint

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
(it's exactly the same as the above)
these commands "should always" work, unless 1) something else is deeply broken 2) the commands are misspelled
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

@thunder22

> I would suggest at least trying to add the backports from the Synaptic Package Manager
Ok, will try that. 4.7.4 is definitely stable, but some applications have been much improved in 4.9.2 so I was wondering whether it's possible to get there. Oh well ...

Return to “Software & Applications”