fresh LMDE install + upgrades = xserver issues [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kbkb

fresh LMDE install + upgrades = xserver issues [SOLVED]

Post by kbkb »

Along side my Windows 7 OS I have installed linuxmint-201204-mate-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.
Both OSs worked fine.
I updated LMDE accepting the defaults when prompted for questions. After a looonnggg time, I rebooted my system and now when booting in LMDE, I'm stuck in terminal with a message saying that I can't run xserver.

Can anyone suggest to me what to do?

KenImage
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: fresh LMDE install + upgrades = xserver issues (help)

Post by tdockery97 »

I don't mean for this to sound condescending, but I would really recommend that you wait for the new LMDE respin, which should be out soon. Installing the 201204 version at this point, with UP5 having just been released, is almost asking for breakages. Not only does the entire UP5 have to process, but the many months of updates previous to it, so it could cause conflicts.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kbkb

Post by kbkb »

I appreciate your advice.

I wasn't aware about UP5 just being released. In fact I had to look up what 'UP5' was. I'm more a user of the OS than anything else. I just got a new computer and so this was not an update/ reinstall because of a breakage. I wish LMDE would be fixed to monthly editions with monthly images to reduce incompatibility issues In addition, if a fresh install and an immediate update breaks the OS, then a warning should be issued stating that it won't work on the page where it is downloaded at the least. - just saying...

I recognize that if Clem and his team had the $$$ of Microsoft, we'd probably be light years ahead in terms of an ideal os.
kbkb

Post by kbkb »

I've decided to try once again to install LMDE -64.

I ran off the DVD and the software installed correctly.
I updated UP4 to UP5 and performed the 1200+ updates which took hours.
I followed the instructions and chose 'keep existing...' at every prompt during the update

After bootup, I get the following:
Failed to start the Xserver (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
In the output, I see: Please consult http://wiki.x.org for help... Please also check the log file at /var/log/Xorg.0.log' for additional information. Server terminated with error (1). Closing the file.

After consulted wiki, I performed the following:

in /etc/X11 I see no xorg.conf
In the terminal, I type: Xorg-configure
On the bottom of the screen I see "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed.
Server terminated with erro(2). Closing log file.

I suspect when LMDE ISO is updated, that this problem will persist. I see other people on the web with the same problems but I can't find solutions.
:(

Graphics card: Radeon HD 7400 Series
Monitor: ACER (large monitor, 24' I think)
HP Pavilion HPE (beats audio) - Brand new

K.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

all this problem is clearly a graphic card/drivers issue.
kbkb wrote:I ran off the DVD and the software installed correctly.
I updated UP4 to UP5 and performed the 1200+ updates which took hours.
I followed the instructions and chose 'keep existing...' at every prompt during the update
in between these steps did you installed the closed source driver for your amd card?
kbkb

Post by kbkb »

I did not make any attempt at changing the video drivers.
My goal was to have LMDE running with UP5 and updates only.

In addition, when I installed, I used three partitions (/boot, swap and /home) - all three areas were freshly formatted as ext4.

K
kbkb

Post by kbkb »

I'm waiting for the new respin of LMDE.
Can anyone tell me if this will solve my issue?
kbkb

Re: fresh LMDE install + upgrades = xserver issues [UN-SOLVE

Post by kbkb »

I found the answer. This helped me.
Visit: http://winonux.blogspot.ca/2011/11/how- ... er-on.html

How to install ATI Graphics driver on Linux Mint Debian Edition
When you installed Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), you may have noticed that there is no "Additional Drivers" program. But don't worry, you can install the driver and the Catalyst Control Center. Just follow these steps:

Open the Terminal and type these commands:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control

sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial

And then reboot your system. You're good to go!

Return to “LMDE Archive”