Losing Desktop and window bars

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ac0ax

Losing Desktop and window bars

Post by ac0ax »

I've keep losing my desktop and window bars. I've tried all the fixes that people have posted in here, all to no avail. I've nuked the system and started over I don't know how many times.

The funnest part is I set up my old laptop with the 32 bit version and my daughter has been using it for a week with no problems. On my laptop I get umm maybe a couple of hours before it breaks again. So tonight I set up xubuntu to see if it would do the same thing. Its been running fine so far. So I don't know if its xfce 4.10 or something to do with Mintmenu. The reason I say that is I have not set that up on the other laptop.

I will say xfce mint 13 runs faster and smoother then xubuntu, but I want it to work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DL-IND

Re: Losing Desktop and window bars

Post by DL-IND »

I am a very new user of Linux Mint.
I have just experienced the same problem with Mint 13 xfce.
All windows miss the top bar on which the minimize, maximize, close buttons and application-name should be.

How to solve this issue?
Thank you.
DL-IND

Post by DL-IND »

Halo again.

Well, I accessed the 'recovery' mode via grub. I saw some options there, but got confused and just selected 'resume'. The problem of losing the top bar just disappeared, but the resolution was too low, perhaps 800x600.
After rebooting, there is no problem; the bar of each window is there and the resolution of screen is correct.

Now, I am confused; why did that thing solve the issue.

Thanks
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

What video card using?
if can access menu see if can get into 'window manager' or 'window manager tweaks'

if can't probally means 'xfwm' and/or 'xfdesktop' not running....need to activate those ang kill process of other wm's that may be running.(use task/system monitor/manager Then resave session, and make sure at logout box check box to save session NOT CHECKED.

P.S. stay away from 'MintMenu' in Xfce it was designed for the Main Edition (Gnome) and the port to Xfce still has some glitches. :wink:

J.Jay
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

I don't know if your system is set up the same as mine but what I did for this problem is
in Application Autostart section in settings added xfwm4 to autostart and that solved it for me.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

That is basically (not technically) the same
you should be able to resave session in 'settings>session and startup' and not have to load as a startup app.
In using as a startup app I'm not sure if checks it self if running 1st (so might get multiple instances loading taking extra time and resources (memory & cpu cycles).

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”