My new linux box running mint xfce 13...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
haywirepc

My new linux box running mint xfce 13...

Post by haywirepc »

I'm a long time linux enthusiast. I have a background in digital audio and video.

I started using linux around red-hat 4.0, switched to suse linux then vector linux for a very long time.
Vector was great because I believe the power of the pc should go to the user, not the os. I prefer quick and responsive so I've stuck with vector running xfce for years. Because of the lack of software in the vector repos and my annoyance at building slackware packages, I switched from that to puppy linux based on ubuntu.

That was cool for awhile but I don't see the advantage of using the ubuntu repos if half the apps you try to install don't work, so I looked for a more complete and feature rich linux system with which to build my new linux machine.

New linux machine is a discarded former full tower server I got from a friend, its a dual core 3.0ghz, 4 gigs ram, a couple of terrabytes storage, sb audigy, and an ati video card. Not exactly bleeding edge, but it suits my needs very well due to mint and xfce being very resource friendly. Also there is something cool about a full tower... Lots of room in the beast to grow, though I may never need it. (Maybe it just looks more powerful?) I don't know but I like it...

I've spent the past several days configuring my system. My only criticism is it took me many hours to locate a problem of no sound playing, it was simply a switch in the mixer, but if you don't think to look there, your likely to spend hours and hours trying to diagnose the cause of the problem. After that most of my time was spent installing all updates (20-25 minutes not bad) configuring compiz, and customizing my desktop to my usual. The rest of my time has been spent copying many megabytes of files, mp3's, movies, games etc. I have sort of dedicated this machine to be my everyday computer, so its getting loaded up with alot of my
stuff collected through the years.

Since I was already very experienced with xfce and compiz,,, This has been the easiest "migration" I have taken ever. Almost everything just worked, and it was really a pleasure to install this and setup my new "favorite" computer.

I still have a lot of work to do... Planning on installing windows xp in virtualbox, setting up amiga os3,9 in uae or euae, I have 8 gigs of dos games to copy and make launchers for... And alot more,.,

So far, migrating a new dedicated machine to linux mint xfce has been a pleasure. I love the software center and the synaptic package manager, especially having spent so much time in the past building (or trying to build) apps from source tarballs and so on with vector linux. Its so nice to search and find just about anything with point and click quick installs. Its just so much more enjoyable this way.

I'm very interested in doing a custom respin of this for my friends and family, so if anyone has any links or info on doing so, I'm all ears.

Thank you to the developers, you've done a fantastic job on this, its a thing of digital beauty.

Best regards,

Steven
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My new linux box running mint xfce 13...

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Steven, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! Clem has written a tutorial on how to create respins of the ISO: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918. DOS games? Golden oldies 8)

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews). You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Welcome Aboard Steven from another old Vector user.

I Just ran out of time packaging for vector. love the distro , but with every upgrade ended up building and installing from tar balls the programs I really needed.

so found Mint some time ago and it's just there most of the time.

Enjoy and have fun.
dave :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
defcon

Post by defcon »

Welcome to the forum and have fun with you Xfce :)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
axel668

Post by axel668 »

welcome to the family :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Hi haywirepc!

Welcome to the Mint Forums and to Linux Mint!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it was an interesting read! I am glad that things are going smoothly for you. It's pretty exciting to move into a new system, isn't it? Kinda like moving into a new house, get to arrange things and have a fresh start.

It's good to see another Xfce fan, too. That is what I use in Mint, really love it. My Mint/Xfce system is the one that just works, looks great, and is my go-to set-up.

Enjoy your new system!

caerolle :)
haywirepc

Post by haywirepc »

Vincent, thanks for the info I will check it out...
Yes dos games rule. I think I have like 8 gigs of them.
They work great in dosbox in mint. Just have to build some
launchers.

Dave,
Glad to see I'm not the only one who jumped ship.
I still wish them the best, vector linux had a great community but I just wasted too much time doing builds of stuff other distos just have point and click installs for. At least it was good experience, I learned to build from source I guess thats always good to know. Great community though.

caerolle,

Yes nothing quite like a new pc to peak your interest again, especially
one running linux. One filled with tons of games and creative apps helps too.

Everyone else thanks for the welcome, Great distro, and looks like
an excellent community here as well. Looking forward to being part
of a new scene.

Thanks,

Steven
haywirepc

Post by haywirepc »

I forgot to ask... I prefer chromium to firefox. I keep getting flash out of date requestors...

Tried to install from flash site but got some kind of error... Is there an easy fix for this? Getting tried of clicking run this time.

Steven
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forum :mrgreen:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

haywirepc wrote:I forgot to ask... I prefer chromium to firefox. I keep getting flash out of date requestors...

Tried to install from flash site but got some kind of error... Is there an easy fix for this? Getting tried of clicking run this time.

Steven
I usually download from the Adobe Flash site and extract the ".so file and manually replace it.

But I use Chrome and FireFox still trying to figure out this one. :lol: Location: /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so .. I just let it run 'till I figure it out. :lol:
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

haywirepc wrote:I forgot to ask... I prefer chromium to firefox. I keep getting flash out of date requestors...

Steven
Hi again Steven,

That's a known bug. Hopefully will be fixed soon you can fix it until then by downloading the latest flash from here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
and extracting in to your home partition then either make a link to it from /usr/lib/chromium-browser /plugins or just copy it there. either way works for me.
Cheers!
Dave
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
haywirepc

Post by haywirepc »

Thanks guys! That fixed it...

Now I can worry about more important things, like installing more games... :D

Steven
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

I seem to recall that I got Flash11 from the Software center (for sure I didn't download it from the 'net) Not at my home computer, so can't confirm, but if it is there, probably the easiest approach.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Just updated Chrome and Peperflash updated when Chrome updated guess I get to Goggle now what PepperFlash is. :roll: :lol:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”