btrfs issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tamikan

btrfs issue

Post by tamikan »

Hi guys,

Did a fresh installation by choosing btrfs. Everything went well BUT when I've tried booting the machine for the first time after the installation, fsck tried to check my disk and couldn't check it out and the system wouldn't boot. I've done a new installation with ext4 in the end :?

Besides that I've install LMDE XFCE over Mageia on my nephew's pc. It's faster and simply lovely. Keep up the good work. God bless you devs :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
luis.nando

Re: btrfs issue

Post by luis.nando »

You have to disable fsck on grub, since btrfs dont support fsck yet (anyway it is not needed)....

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=86295
melbo

Post by melbo »

I've been running btrfs for some time now and have never seen that. I followed this tutorial to get it installed
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=100659
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

melbo wrote:I've been running btrfs for some time now and have never seen that. I followed this tutorial to get it installed
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=100659
When you install from last live media and format to btrfs, it has fsck enabled in fstab and boot fails every time.
melbo

Post by melbo »

Interesting. I've never been able to get LMDE 201204 to format to btrfs using the installer which is why I went the route in the link above.
I actually had to check and see if there was a respin of LMDE after you mentioned latest iso.

btrfs option is always greyed out when I use the installer.

By using the above tut, I'm also able to build a btrfs @ system that spans multiple drives:
subvolumes / and /vm on an SSD and /home on a second HDD, all under @

Waiting for the day we have a true btrfs installer packaged with the distro!
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

melbo wrote:Interesting. I've never been able to get LMDE 201204 to format to btrfs using the installer which is why I went the route in the link above.
I actually had to check and see if there was a respin of LMDE after you mentioned latest iso.

btrfs option is always greyed out when I use the installer.

By using the above tut, I'm also able to build a btrfs @ system that spans multiple drives:
subvolumes / and /vm on an SSD and /home on a second HDD, all under @

Waiting for the day we have a true btrfs installer packaged with the distro!
Strange. I do however format the drive through GParted first, with btrfs. And when running installer it is not greyed out for me. I checked image I'm using and yes, dated same as yours, cinnamon/mate
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

I had no problems installing LMDE on btrfs.
After installation just boot Live CD again, and edit fstab on hdd (set btrfs partitions error checking for example to 0 0).

That said,
1) if you are running btrfs you should always be using newest possible kernel. 3.2 is quite ancient already - go for 3.6. BTRFS is gaining many important upgrades and fixes every kernel release.
2) performance will be most probably inferior to ext4 and getting worse as drive gets filled and fragmented (due to copy-on-write and garbage collector)
3) you'll lose about 2GB on each partition (btrfs reserves it).
4) make backups as there is no working fsck yet. afair clonezilla cannot backup partitions compressed by btrfs-lzo, just btrfs-zip or uncompressed.

I've had corrupted btrfs a few times already and gave up using it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”