Need help updating - (proxy blocking)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sandt1g3r

Need help updating - (proxy blocking)

Post by sandt1g3r »

Hi all

I did a fresh install of Mint Maya Cinnamon and I was greeted with a huge list of updates, which I did. However there seems to be one update that is failing on all repositories - liborbit2 . Consequently I now have broken dependencies.
Further checking reveals that this page is being blocked by my IT department (i am in a college behind a proxy). They seem to be blocking anything with the word "orbit" in the url. Hence I need some way to manually get and install this package. Could somebody please (any one should be enough) -

i) tell me how to bypass the ban ?
ii) provide me a link to the mirror where the package is named appropriately (no orbit in url)
iii) upload the .udeb file with a different name here so i may download it (its <200kb)

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Need help updating - (proxy blocking)

Post by xenopeek »

I've uploaded a .tar.gz archive with both the i386 (32 bit) and amd64 (64 bit) deb files: http://www.filehost.ws/65b9cymt0un1

Now let's hope file hosters aren't blocked...
sandt1g3r

Post by sandt1g3r »

xenopeek wrote:I've uploaded a .tar.gz archive with both the i386 (32 bit) and amd64 (64 bit) deb files: http://www.filehost.ws/65b9cymt0un1

Now let's hope file hosters aren't blocked...

Thanks a lot, you're a lifesaver . Everything is back to normal now.

Oh BTW, most file hosts are blocked too (rapidshare,mediafire etc.) I was surprised the one you chose wasn't :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Close call then :D I don't normally use file hosters so I just searched for one where I didn't have to make an account...

You might want to drop a line to your IT department, mentioning you couldn't download liborbit2 and asking if they can adjust the proxy for that.

From Debian's page (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/liborbit2) it makes it a little more clear what liborbit2 does:
ORBit2 is a high-performance CORBA (Common Object Request Broker Architecture) ORB (Object Request Broker). It allows programs to send requests and receive replies from other programs, regardless of the locations of the two programs. CORBA is an architecture that enables communication between program objects, regardless of the programming language they're written in or the operating system they run on.

This package contains the run-time libraries used by ORBit2-based applications.
sandt1g3r

Post by sandt1g3r »

Yep, will surely let the IT department know - just that they are exceptionally difficult to locate on Sundays. I am planning to send them a mail saying "Regular expressions can be deadly"
liborbit2 had inadvertently stuck up synaptic, I don't think it was direct dependency for many but a lot of half-cooked updates broke my system

Return to “Other topics”