[SOLVED] Freeze Up / Crash-adjusting backlight brightness

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
megreen

[SOLVED] Freeze Up / Crash-adjusting backlight brightness

Post by megreen »

Dell N5010 Laptop...in either Mint Maya KDE, Mate, XFCE, Cinnamon (and actually Ubuntu 12.04, Bodhi as well)... when attempting to adjust backlight, whether by function keys or applet slider... if I don't dim/brighten it one "tick" at a time and then wait few seconds between each on completely settled session (completely booted and settled), and/or especially when just booted up... Mint freezes, and I have to manually power down (hold power button till off).

The only distro that I've tried so far that this doesn't happen in is SolusOS (maybe because not Ubuntu based???)... But I started out (after much research) as a Mint 11 user over a year ago, and love Mint! And like the Ubuntu repos compatibility, etc..

Currently posting from Maya Cinnamon.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance. :D

P.S. I attached screenshot of sys details, but can't remember terminal command to get more detailed ones.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Freeze Up / Crash when adjusting backlight brightness

Post by wyrdoak »

Have your tried to add acpi_backlight=vendor in GRUB at line?

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

sudo update-grub
reboot
megreen

Post by megreen »

wyrdoak wrote:Have your tried to add acpi_backlight=vendor in GRUB at line?

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

sudo update-grub
reboot

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

Thats it! But just for clarification, I am attaching screenshot to show... that there was already a line (you prob already knew it) in grub that read:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

So I was only guessing that it would be better to alter it instead of adding other similar line that you suggested (was worried in my almost-smarter-than-I-look newbie mind that it might confuse grub process with 2 similar lines???). So... Altered already existing line to read:

((( never did this kind of edit before, but was able to figure out how to navigate, exit, save )))

MUCH THANKS and BEST TO YOU & YOURS!!!! :wink:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Glad it worked for you! Sorry my syntax confused you[was doing 3 things at once when I wrote it] but you did what I meant.
dblmint

Re: [SOLVED] Freeze Up / Crash-adjusting backlight brightnes

Post by dblmint »

... the above grub edit has worked in the past (and still works on my Kubuntu 12.04), but now 15 Olivia Mate, when add above mod, just completely unable adjust backlight at all :(

Return to “Hardware Support”