XFCE 4.10

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DapperMe17

XFCE 4.10

Post by DapperMe17 »

Mint LMDE XFCE

Is there an ETA for XFCE 4.10 to hit the "default" repos, rather then attempting to patch it together manually (per other forum posts)?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: XFCE 4.10

Post by vrkalak »

LinuxMint's LMDE release is based on Debian Testing ... the testing release is currently in the 'freeze' stage of its development. No new Apps, Package or Programs and such are being added to Debian until Wheezy goes 'stable' early next year. The only updates you should get are 'security updates'.

Therefore, Xfce-4.10 will not hit the LMDE/Debian 'testing' repros until early next year. Sorry. :(

The new release of Mint-13 Xfce LTS already has Xfce-4.10 by default ... you might try that. As the LTS (long-term support) version it will be supported for 5 years.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not that I'm aware of BUT...
The next Debian stable will switch to 4.8 (mainly because upgrading 4.6 (current in stable) to 4.10 directly (without 4.8 in between :P ) causes alot off pain! Also why (somewhat) Xubuntu 12.04 stayed on 4.8 (was talk of using pre 4.10 builds), because the previous LTS used 4.6.
My guess (barring Clem's inclusion into the 'Mint Repo') it will stay at 4.8 till after the 'Debian' freeze and 7 released officially. After that testing (hence LMDE) will get most of the stuff in "SID'. (even 'siduction only has 4.8 because some still in 'experimental yet)!

Long story short 'Probally 1st UPack after freeze (early 2013ish?).

J.Jay

P.S. because 'Debian Proper" will default to XFCE going forward (mainly to keep to a CD sized download) Xfce may( :lol: ) get a bit more love. :mrgreen:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Soory (post again) :idea:

Remember Xfce 4.12 is slated for a 'March 2013' release.

MAYBE :mrgreen:
J.Jay
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

I think that Mint13 uses 4.8, not 4.10? I have Mint with Xfce installed from a few weeks back, and I have 4.8. Plus, 4.8 is the highest version in the Software Manager, last time I checked.

In Debian, 4.10 is not even in unstable, is all the way out in experimental. In Arch, can it it right now. ;)
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Great info, and thanks to all replies!

Will take a look at Mint 13, Xubuntu 12.10 or Arch.

At the end of the day, I'll stick with LMDE XFCE and look forward to updates in early '13.

:wink:
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

I guess switching your sources list to Deb experimental and downloading 4.10, then back to Mint would be a bad thing, then?

I have downloaded the fat tarball from the Xfce site into my Mint set-up, but haven't gotten around to extracting and building it yet. Seems like it should be straight-forward, just a bit time-consuming?
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Ditto.

8)
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Mint 13 XFCE has XFCE 4.10 already (from the PPAs), maybe you should consider this as an alternative, getting it into Debian will sure take a couple of months.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Ah, axel, I didn't even think of that. Thanks! :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

EDIT: Removed some bad advice! Don't want someone to come across it at some point and break their system! :shock:
Last edited by caerolle on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

caerolle,
mint13 xfce already has 4.10 (as said above) if you are suggesting to use that ppa in lmde (as the OP was asking) please don't do that: ppa's are not meant to be used in debian systems.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Opps, sorry, I was talking about Mint 13, not LMDE. I was adding that info in response to someone mentioning PPA for getting 4.10, I thought for Mint 13, earlier in the thread (plus, if you go to that link, the repo is obviously Xubuntu...I would hope that people with LMDE would know they have Debian, not Ubuntu?).

Also, maybe the Mint 13 Xfce iso has been updated very recently to include 4.10? I have Mint 13 Xfce from a download a few weeks ago, and it has 4.8, not 4.10.

Sorry for making a bad post...
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Oh, crap, I just remembered. I didn't load Min13 Xfce this time, I loaded Mate, then added Xfce from the Software Manager. That is why I have 4.8. I need to go back and load from the Mint 13 Xfce ISO I have.

So so so so so very very very sorry! :oops:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

caerolle wrote:So so so so so very very very sorry! :oops:
oh come on, it's ok :wink:
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

I just feel really bad to give anyone bad info, I I want to help people, not make things worse for them... :(

But, thanks so much for being understanding, I appreciate it. I will be more careful...
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

No need to reload your OS, especially if you've got it running nicely! You can just add the PPA for Xfce 4.10:

Add to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10/ubuntu precise main
You'll probably have to modify the preferences file, too.

Add

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700
EDIT: I seriously messed up the add repo command. Here's the pertinent info for now. You can find the correct command structure on the forum. Sorry :(
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Thanks, squeezy! You are right, I have added software, done a lot of updates over the last few weeks, all that, so it would be better to just update the Xfce. The idea occurred to me to update what I have, too, but I didn't want to make another post in this thread, as I have made a mess of it already (now that I have bumped it back up to the top, I think I will delete that link I posted up-thread, too). However, your directions have made it far easier for me, would have taken me some work to figure it all out, I think! If this weren't my stable, perfect system, I would probably build it from the fat tarball from the Xfce site, just for the experience, but I don't want to break this install. Maybe I'll install a second Mint on my experimental drive, and play with building it there.

Thanks so very much!

caerolle :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”